Public Affairs Statement
Octopus is investing in the people, ideas and industries that will change the world. We strongly believe there is no trade-off between ‘doing good’ and ‘making money’. Indeed, we believe that companies that understand what it means to make the world a better place, will deliver better financial returns for their investors over the coming decades.
We passionately believe in making the UK the best place in the world to set up, scale up and list a company. Our policy engagement work is supporting UK businesses to unlock investment into solutions tackling humanity’s greatest challenges. We are revitalising our healthcare system, empowering people and communities, and building a sustainable planet to accelerate the journey to net-zero.
We are Members of the Following Groups
The Venture Capital Trust Association
The Venture Capital Trust Association (VCTA) represents ten of the largest venture capital trust managers in the UK, which make up more than 75% of the VCT industry, equivalent to £3.3 billion.
Enterprise Investment Scheme Association
The EISA is a not for profit organisation which exists to aid the provision of capital to UK small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) through the Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) and the Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme (SEIS.
The Associated Retirement Community Operators
ARCO is the main body representing the retirement community sector in the UK. ARCO’s members include over 100 organisations associated with ARCO, including ARCO Affiliates, Advisory Council Partners, Strategic Partners, and members of the ARCO Accelerator Programme.
The Institutional Investors Group on Climate Change
IIGCC is a European collaboration of investors mobilising capital for the low carbon transition and to ensure resilience to the impacts of a changing climate by collaborating with business, policy makers and fellow investors
Principles for Responsible Investing
- to understand the investment implications of environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors
- to support its international network of investor signatories in incorporating these factors into their investment and ownership decisions.
- of its signatories
- of the financial markets and economies in which they operate and ultimately of the environment and society as a whole
- January 2021 HMT Budget representation
- March 2021 Department of Business, Energy, and Industrial Strategy – call for evidence: Enabling a High Renewable, Net Zero Electricity System
- May 2021 Treasury Select Committee Inquiry into Jobs, growth and productivity after coronavirus
- June 2021 Department of Health and Social Care’s call for evidence on the Women’s Health Strategy
- Oct 2021 Autumn Budget and Spending Review
- Jan 2022 Department of Work and Pensions consultation: enabling investment in productive finance
- Jan 2022 Department for International Trade’s GCC consultation
- Nov 2022 Department for Work and Pensions consultation: Broadening the investment opportunities of defined contribution pensions schemes
- Jan 2022 Spring Statement
- Feb 2022 Work and Pensions Committee consultation: Protecting pension savers – five years on from the pension freedoms: Saving for later life
- June 2022 Treasury Select Committee consultation into Venture Capital Market
- Aug 2022 Labour’s Start up Scale up Review
- Jan 2023 Spring Statement