Careers at Octopus Investments
We’re looking for customer-obsessed, ambitious, bold and friendly people who want to help change the world. Sound like you?
What we do
We’re Octopus Investments. And we’re a bit unusual.
By that, we mean we’re a values-driven business that puts our customers at the heart of everything we do. We believe that by investing in the people, ideas, and industries that will change the world, we can help to create a better future for people and the planet.
Now, spruce up that CV and check out our vacancies.
How we behave
Octopus Investments is only as good as the people who work here. We believe that great business is about how you make others feel. And it all starts with our people – they create our culture, define the relationships we build with our customers and each other, and ultimately make Octopus what it is. That’s where our values come in:
Quick on your feet? We champion those who can make fast decisions, are open to changing their minds if there’s a better way to do things and aren’t afraid to fail.
A little help can go a long way – we believe everyone should always behave like it’s day one and remember that without our customers, there is no business.
Feedback is vital, but how you deliver it is equally as important. We love people who have opinions but express them in a way that’s respectful and easy to understand.
Octopus Investments in a nutshell
So, what is it that makes Octopus such an amazing place to work?
We asked some of our employees.
Here’s what they said…
Not like other companies
What sets Octopus Investments apart from the rest?
We don’t think or act like most corporate companies. Our ideas rarely fit into little grey filing cabinets.
What makes us different is we’re…
- B Corp-certified, meaning we care about the impact of our investments as much as the returns they generate.
- Always doing things differently, with customers at the heart of everything we do.
- Passionate about giving back – our charitable foundation Octopus Giving is dedicated to helping charities improve the world.
- Entrepreneurial – our internal programme, Springboard, is designed to support innovative business-minded individuals working at Octopus in pursuing their ideas through financial support, expert advice, and mentorship.
- Not bureaucratic – we don’t like having rules, for rules’ sake.
- Values-led, with genuine care for our people and their wellbeing.
- Focused on problem-solving, with a mission to invest in the industries, ideas, and people that will change the world.
- And so much more…
“Octopus is made up of incredible people with big ideas. A culture that embraces change, innovation and vulnerability.”
Anna Philbrick, People Director
Life at Octopus Investments
You’ve seen a role you like and applied. Fantastic. What’s next? We’ll always get back to you within a week, but in the meantime, here’s a little rundown of what to expect in the interview process.
We believe great talent can come from any background. That’s why our recruitment process is typically four stages and designed to be as unbiased as possible.
Our goal is to get to know the authentic you while bringing to life the unique Octopus culture so you can decide if we’re a good fit for you.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll be looking at three key areas:
- Team collaboration.
- Technical ability.
Do your research on Octopus Investments before an interview.
💸 The usual stuff (a competitive salary, bonus, pension and health cover)
🌱 Share Incentive Plan
🏖️ Untracked holiday
👪 Up to 6 months of full paid parental leave, regardless of gender
🏡 Hybrid working – most of our people spend 50% of their time in the office
🧠 Anchor (our wellness hub) which includes Headspace, one to one coaching through Wellness Cloud, Digital GP, Shout & more
❤️🩹 Life insurance, critical illness cover, and income protection
🩺 Private medical insurance for you and your family
🚙 Electric vehicle leasing
🏝️ The option to work overseas up to a month per year
💰 Recognition scheme – exchange Octopus recognition cheques for gifts and gift vouchers
🚞 Season ticket loans
📚 Professional study benefits
％ Staff discount scheme
And so much more!
Diversity, in all its forms, makes a business stronger and we believe that teams are at their best when everyone feels safe to bring their whole self to work. That’s why we’re committed to promoting equal opportunities for growth and development regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or socioeconomic background.
We have an in-house Diversity and Inclusion steering group dedicated to ensuring that everyone at Octopus feels included and respected. This group is made up of representatives from across the organisation. They work closely with our People team and our employee networks to help focus our D&I efforts.
What we’ve been up to lately:
- Partnered with The Diversity Project.
- Welcomed another brilliant cohort of interns through our partnership with 10,000 Black Interns.
- Had our teams attend unconscious bias training, and ensured all our job adverts go through a language decoder.
- For International Women’s Day, we asked female colleagues what advice they’d give in the workplace. Their answers? Take a look.
HM Treasury’s Women in Finance Charter
We’re on a mission to invest in the people, ideas and industries that change the world. Fundamentally, we’re in the business of making the world a better place for everyone to live.
We’ll only achieve this if we think differently. To do that, we have to bring diverse, innovative minds together to create an environment where everyone can be themselves and express their opinions.
At Octopus, everyone’s mental and physical health is essential to their well-being. That’s why we offer a wide range of wellness initiatives to help our employees thrive.
Our Anchor program has a variety of services to meet the needs of everyone in our community, including:
- On-demand, remote coaching for parents through Wellness Cloud.
- Subsidised financial coaching to help you get on top of your finances.
- Social clubs that cater to all kinds of interests, from sports and cooking to video games and art.
We also offer a variety of other wellness initiatives, like:
- Employee assistance programs that provide confidential counselling and support.
- Health screenings to help you stay healthy.
- Wellness challenges to encourage you to be active and healthy.
Everyone deserves to be healthy and happy, and we’re committed to providing the resources and support to our employees in achieving their wellness goals.
Some of society’s biggest challenges are best solved by partnering with amazing charities. That’s why we set up Octopus Giving in 2014.
So far, we’ve donated over £1.5 million to charities, and just last year, we spent over 12,500 hours volunteering our time.
To find out more, head over to our Octopus Giving page.
Ready to apply?
If you’ve got your CV ready, take a look at our vacancies and start applying today.
And remember, even if you think you don’t tick every box, we still encourage you to go for it. We’re more interested in your potential than your experience.
No worries if you can’t find your dream role
You can apply speculatively, and we’ll keep you in mind when a role that’s a good fit comes up.
In case you’re looking for Octopus Energy…
We get it! The names are very similar, which can be confusing, but we’re actually two different businesses. While Octopus Energy is also part of the Octopus Group, it’s separate from us here at Octopus Investments.
So, if that’s what you’re looking for, head to their website.