Analyst/Associate, Financial Modeller, Octopus Australia
This is an opportunity to join the growing Octopus business, as we spread our tentacles across renewable energy investments throughout Australia and beyond. The successful applicant will be a senior member of the Energy Markets team and be part of a dynamic and energetic team, shaping the energy transition in Australia. Helping us to build an enviable portfolio of renewable assets in Australia, with a broader horizon of expansion into Asia Pacific
Octopus Group is one of the largest owners of renewable energy projects in Australia and Europe. It owns some 260 assets, on behalf of wholesale and institutional investors. Domestically, Octopus Australia is responsible for managing over $1 billion of assets for local and international investors.
Octopus Australia’s mission is to accelerate the transition to a future powered by renewable energy. As a specialist renewables manager, we believe there is a huge opportunity to unblock investment in renewables by building a bespoke portfolio of multi – technology renewables assets in Australia.
We have invested in the 333 MWDC Darlington Point Solar Farm – the largest so far connected to the grid in Australia – and the 180MW Dulacca Wind Farm. We also have a strong national pipeline of projects across solar, wind, battery storage and hydrogen opportunities.
Our local team has extended it’s on the ground presence, with 30 dedicated energy professionals across a broad range of expertise including Funds Management, Investment, Development, Engineering, Energy Markets, and Asset Management.
About the Role
About the role:
We are looking for a Senior Markets Analyst role within the Energy Markets team, reporting to the Energy Markets Director at Octopus Australia. The location can be either Melbourne or Sydney. This role will be pivotal in shaping both the Octopus Australia portfolio as well as the energy transition in Australia.
You will be a forward-thinking person who is inquisitive in nature and is comfortable working in the detail and pivoting to a markets and portfolio view. Being part of a team to create an energy markets strategy and developing our suite of products. You will be someone who is passionate and has a good understanding of the Australian energy market.
You will have ideally worked as part of an analytical team in a senior analytical role providing detailed insights and analytics that has driven commercial outcomes. A minimum of two years in the energy industry and 5 years working with data and analytics is a must for this position.
Just as important as what you achieve in this role, is how you perform the role. We’ll need you to be an engaged team member, who can cross pollenate your energy market knowledge and capabilities into an investment and development world with both internal and external stakeholders. Be ready for a dynamic work environment, with a start-up mindset. You’ll be encouraged and supported to be bold in your thinking and leadership, whilst being a helpful colleague to those around you.
Core responsibilities will include:
- A diverse role that will cover anything that falls under the banner of energy markets analytics:
- Analysing market dynamics to understand and forecast commercial impacts.
- Product valuation, portfolio analysis and optimsation.
- Model development through core platforms Python, R.
- Commercial BI development through tools such as Power BI.
- Working across the energy markets analytics team to deliver the analytical roadmap building a strong and robust data and modelling eco-system that will facilitate and enhance insights and modelling capabilities.
- Involvement in offtake discussions with future partners to create the right products and market offering that maximises the value of our portfolio and creates innovative solutions through the energy transition.
- Support the development of offtake products that meet client needs and comply with Octopus risk management framework.
- Play an integral role in the development of our Octopus view of the future energy market and produce meaningful analysis and energy curves that supports investment decisions and the creation of a future renewable portfolio.
- Work with the team to respond to market tenders for off take contracts and provide strategic advice on the value these offtakes will create for our business.
- Work collaboratively across the energy markets and Investment and development teams to assess new technology opportunities in the energy market and how these technologies will change the dynamics in the market, including hydrogen and electrification.
Core skills required:
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking and analytical decision making through guiding internal teams and external stakeholders towards commercial outcomes.
- Strong analytical experience across a full range of technologies:
- Database knowledge – SQL – through SQL server, Oracle etc.
- Modelling capability – Python, R, Julia etc.
- Business Intelligence – Power BI, Tableau, Qlik etc
- Offtake and product suite development. The candidate must have solid skills developing and understanding the type of products that will be developed through the energy transition and how our portfolio needs to grow and be shaped to accelerate through the energy transition and capture value for our investors.
- Solid energy market knowledge with a background in energy market modelling and data analytics experience. Demonstrated experience managing complex workloads in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
- Candidates must demonstrate a commercial mindset and be able to consider complex market challenges in a broader commercial and investment context and how this interacts with our portfolio.
- Eligibility to work in Australia – visa sponsorship is not offered.
- Relevant experience in a similar position working in the energy sector is preferred. Experience within a leading consultant, energy retailer or AEMO is desirable.
- Ability to present to and capture the imagination of people by providing analytical insights into the energy market.
- Ability to engage at a General Manager level with strong written and verbal communication.
- Candidates with an existing network of trusted relationships within the Australian energy industry will be highly regarded.
What we offer
💰 A competitive salary, bonus, share incentive plan
✈️ Take what you need holiday
🏡 Flexible working
⚓ Anchor (our wellness hub) which includes Headspace
👪 Enhanced family leave policies
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours or part time work. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.
Our culture is critical to our success and is built around three principles that underpin how we pursue our goals.
- Straightforward – Consistently clear and straightforward communications with everyone that you work with.
- Helpful - Assist teammates and wider colleagues to reach and exceed their business targets. Get stuck in and demonstrate you have the passion to make a difference at Octopus. Manage your own mood positively and act with humility, transparency, and integrity in all that you do.
- Bold - Identify, develop, and implement fresh ideas that demonstrate commercial insight and contribute to greater success at Octopus.