At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 800 people and manage more than £8.5 billion on behalf of over 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Wealth and Octopus Renewables. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About the Role
About the role
Reporting to the Head of Sales, the Area Sales Direct is responsible for leading, motivating and developing a team of field-based BDMs with a view to optimizing inflows and service in a sales region. This is an opportunity for the right candidate to make a significant impact on the growth of a region throughout the UK.
As part of the Sales Management team, the Area Sales Director will be responsible for developing sales strategy for the wider BDM team and the identification of commercial opportunities. Managing a team of field-based Business Development Managers to deliver and develop excellence (resulting in profitable inflows) is the key focus of this role.
Essential Job Functions
- Develop a region by empowering a team of External Business Development Managers to originate and effectively deliver sales campaigns.
- Own of part of the overall sales strategy.
- Set and monitor progress on objectives and personal development plans for the team.
- Empower your team to originate and effectively deliver sales campaigns
- Develop new initiatives to increase the number of advisers supporting Octopus and devise strategies to identify potential target advisers for the existing product set.
- Introduce opportunities from outside of the current supporter base
- Deliver regular performance reviews, sales training, coaching and 121s
- Develop key adviser accounts in your region, with an expectation of having strong, productive relationships with the decision makers at the largest regional firms
- Present at large regional seminars
- Oversee a programme of regional events
- Work closely with Business Line Managers to develop product proposition by providing feedback from advisers and own industry experience
- Able to use and interpret data to identify opportunities and deploy resources most effectively
- Establish a sales culture within the BDM team that delivers peak performance while maintaining a collaborative team environment and delivering outstanding customer service.
Job Specific Experience/Technical Skills/Abilities
- A proven track record in sales development combined with strong sales team management skills.
- Proven ability to deliver sales results as a team manager.
- Successful experience in building and developing a sales team.
- Must be able to form and execute a plan for identifying, hiring, training and developing BDMs into a world-class sales force.
- Must be comfortable communicating sophisticated messages in a clear and concise manner in front of both large and small groups, utilizing a variety of media.
- Will be comfortable operating in an environment of constant change.
- A strong eye for detail.
- Able to engender a real sense of Esprit de Corps amongst the team members, champion the BDM team within Octopus and Octopus values within the BDM team.
- Should have proven track record of being able to operate, and effectively influence, clients at Board level (ideally within large IFA firms and Networks)
- A strong knowledge of financial markets and investment products and a clear commitment to continued development through professional exams
- This individual should be able to command respect with their ideas and initiatives both internally and externally.
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
· We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for
· We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold
· We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in
· We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving
· We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.