Established in 2000, Octopus is a group of businesses investing in people, ideas and industries that change the world. You can learn more about us at octopusgroup.com.
At Octopus Investments, we're experts in financial services and we’re also a certified B Corp, meaning we care as much about the impact of our investments as the returns they generate. Today we manage more than £12.4* billion on behalf of retail and institutional investors.
*Funds Under Management data includes undrawn commitments, funds under advisory mandates, funds monitored and the Octopus Cash service as of 31st December 2021
About the Role
Octopus Labs is the tech division of Octopus group. This role sits within the engineering team which comprises of 60 onshore and offshore engineers, testers, architects, DevOps engineers, dev managers and tech leads.
Labs use the latest technology to build Client Portals and internal systems to support our operational activities. Our team are constantly looking for new technologies, and people at all levels of the function are encouraged and expected to contribute with ideas on how we can improve our products. We embrace diversity and have people from a wide range of backgrounds working both in the UK and from countries around the world.
About the role:
Octopus is going through a major technical transformation and greater strategic leadership is required to ensure data quality and data security within our future state architecture.
To enable this, we are looking for a Data Architect to take the lead on data strategy and governance within Octopus Investments. The is a new role which will sit within the Architecture function in Labs. The role will have interactions with the technical team as well as the wider business and will require effective stakeholder management and clear communication at all levels.
As well as strategic guidance, the role will require someone who is hands-on and capable of effective, collaborative working with the Engineering and Data teams.
- Overall responsibility for data architecture at Octopus Investments
- The creation and maintenance of an enterprise-level data strategy
- Working closely with Compliance and InfoSec on data governance, defining policies on data usage and security
- The translation of business strategy into technical documentation
- Creation and maintenance of data catalogs and libraries
- Attending and contributing to the technical design authority, reviewing and approving changes to our architecture where appropriate
- Holding workshops with key stakeholders to gain an understanding of current and future reporting requirements
- The research and recommendation of technologies that best support your data strategy
- Working with the tech leads to create and maintain conceptual, logical, physical, application-specific, and enterprise-level data models
- Defining master or reference data
- Working closely with key business stakeholders to understand and document the flow of data within our business
- Creating and owning a roadmap for the implementation of your data strategy
- Working closely with the Data, Product, and engineering teams to effectively implement your data strategy
Ideally, you’ll have some or all of the following qualifications, skills and job-related experience:
- Knowledge of one or more data architecture frameworks (Togaf, Zachman, DMBOK 2 etc.)
- Experience of working with the Infosec, Compliance, and SecOps functions to ensure the security of our data
- Knowledge of Agile working practices and previous experience of working with SCRUM
- Knowledge of cloud computing, specifically Azure
- Great stakeholder management skills
- You will have a strategic mindset and will be able to communicate how activities map to strategic goals
- Knowledge of microservices architecture, and the challenges that architecture poses to data processing
And to really stand out from the crowd, you will display the following qualities and characteristics:
- You will be great at collaborative working, and will know how to engage with people at all levels of the organisation
- You will be comfortable with change and have the ability to refocus on new projects and tasks at short notice
- You will own problems when they arise and be able to make pragmatic decisions on how to resolve them
- You will have great communication skills, and will be able to effectively work with people who are working remotely
- You will have a genuine interest in technology and will have an innovative mindset; you will be looking for new technologies and techniques to improve our data architecture
- You understand the importance of the user experience and always put the customer first
What we offer
💰 A competitive salary, bonus, pension and share incentive plan
✈️ Take what you need holiday
🏡 Flexible working
⚓ Anchor (our wellness hub) which includes Headspace, one to one coaching through Sanctus, Parent Cloud, Digital GP, Shout & more
👪 Enhanced family leave policies
❤️ Life insurance, critical illness cover and income protection
🏥 Private medical insurance for you and your family
🚗 Electric vehicle leasing
🌍 The option to work overseas up to a month per year
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold.
We’re committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee experience for all. We promote equal opportunities for growth and development regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or socio-economic background. We believe strongly that teams are at their best when every member of the team feels safe to bring their whole self to work.