At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 750 people and manage more than £8.3 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Moneycoach, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About the Role
We are looking for a Data Insights Analyst to join the Data Insight team within Octopus Investments. This is an opportunity to join a growing team in an exciting period of transformation where you will be at the forefront of shaping how the business uses data & insight.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Helping the wider business become more data driven by partnering with end-users and delivering insights that drive real commercial impact
- Understanding reporting requirements and building appropriate automated BI reports & relevant, engaging and reliable dashboards
- Working with product managers and data engineers to identify the right data sources and calculation requirements to support reporting
- Deploying a range of analytical techniques to answer ad-hoc business questions
- Developing metrics to analyse business performance and identify areas of opportunity
- Driving up data quality (completeness, reliability, clarity, etc.) throughout the data supply chain
Essential experience & characteristics:
- 2+ years’ experience in a Data Analyst role, or similar
- Great people skills - this role will involve working with lots of internal stakeholders both technical and non-technical
- Strong problem-solving ability and analytical mindset – you proactively gather the right data from appropriate sources, probe all the facts and consider other perspectives
- Highly proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel
- Good knowledge of relational databases and comfortable writing SQL querie
- Knowledge and experience of Power BI (or similar visualisation tool)
- Ability to gather, understand & interpret business requirements
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Detail-orientated with a demonstrably high standard for data accuracy
Nice to have:
- Experience working with B2B sales teams
- Experience working for a similar, fast paced Financial Services company
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we’re always learning, adapting and improving.
- We understand who our customers are and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer:
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.