At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 800 people and manage more than £8.5 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About Octopus Ventures
With £1.3 billion under management and investing over £100m a year, Octopus Ventures (OV) is one of the largest and most active venture investors in Europe. Our typical investment is from £1 million for Seed to £10 million for Series B and we can continue to fund the companies we back right through to IPO.
Our investment team is built to specialise in the four areas we believe will change the world for the better: health, money, deep tech and consumer. We back ‘pioneers’ and we use the term very deliberately to carve out that subset of entrepreneurs who are truly breaking new ground. Since 2008 we have backed nearly 120 teams, including Zoopla, Swiftkey, WaveOptics, Elvie, Bought by Many, Tails.com, Secret Escapes, graze.com and Cazoo.
We are based in London and New York with a network that spans from San Francisco to China. The companies we back become a part of this network, with access to a formidable resource of experience and expertise.
About the Role
Our Investment Analysts are core to our investment team, helping to research, identify, select and due diligence the most exciting deeptech startups from across the UK as well as cementing themselves as an important part of the wider venture ecosystem.
The day-to-day can vary a lot, but will involve:
- Representing Octopus Ventures at industry events to build relationships with entrepreneurs and other investors
- Building a personal network through which to source deals
- Compiling research on exciting deep tech sectors to identify new opportunities
- Track and pursue entrepreneurs and companies that really excite us
- Analysing and performing due diligence on companies that fall within our investment criteria
- Helping to build and present investment theses for new deals and follow-on investments
Supporting deeptech portfolio companies
- Helping portfolio companies on specific commercial projects and identifying on-going initiatives to build Octopus’ portfolio offering
Supporting Octopus Ventures
- Preparing deal- and fund-related analyses and presentations for the team
- Contribute to on-going development of strategy for the deep tech pod
While each successful candidate will bring her/his own experience and personality into the role, we expect every new Investment Analyst will likely:
- Have a robust track record as a strong contributor in a professional environment
- Have a demonstrated appetite for accountability and self-reliance
- Exhibit an abnormally high level of curiosity about how the world works
- Have a proven ability to ingest and process large amounts of nebulous information quickly
- Have a proven ability to build trust and rapport with a wide variety of founders and other investors
In return, Octopus Ventures has a track record in offering to its Associates:
- A highly practical apprenticeship in the venture capital industry inside one of Europe’s largest and most active early stage funds
- An accelerated path towards taking ownership of sourcing and diligencing early stage investments and presenting investment theses in front of Partners and peers
- An opportunity to work with some of the strongest entrepreneurs in the UK and build out a personal network in the ecosystem, supported by a strong brand name
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
- We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.