Finance Associate – Octopus Australia Sydney
The successful applicant will be able to join the Octopus Investments Australia team on their mission to accelerate Australia's transition to a future powered by renewable energy.
Octopus Group is one of the largest owners of renewable energy projects in Australia and Europe. It owns some 260 assets, on behalf of wholesale and institutional investors. Domestically, Octopus Australia is responsible for managing over $1 billion of assets for local and international investors.
Globally Octopus is on a mission to invest in the people, ideas and industries that will change the world. We have 2,500 employees and $25bn under management across investments, energy, ventures and real estate. From a standing start in 2010 Octopus grew its energy investment business rapidly to become Europe’s largest non-utility renewable energy investor and now has the equivalent of greater than $11bn energy assets under management. We also have one of the fastest growing energy retail businesses globally with almost 5 million customers.
Octopus Investments Australia
Established in 2018, Octopus Australia is a dynamic multifaceted team of over 40 highly skilled people which spans the expertise required to realise and operate a renewable energy and storage portfolio.
With an existing multi-GW portfolio of operating and development assets, we are continuing to grow to create a long-term business that can deliver a firmed energy product to meet the evolving needs of Australia’s energy future.
About the Role
About the role:
The role of Finance Associate will sit in the finance team and support across the Octopus Australia business giving the successful candidate wide exposure to various renewable asset investments, funds, and Octopus Australia as a fund manager. The role is based in our Sydney, with occasional travel required between offices.
The successful candidate will be involved in the successful delivery of all financial aspects of the Octopus Australia Group. This role will report into the Financial Controller.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Involvement in regular management and KPI variance reporting
- Involvement in quarterly and annual financial reporting (with the support of advisors)
- Cashflow forecasting and calculating funding requirements.
- Forecasting and budgeting at both asset and company level
- Management of external bookkeepers and advisors, to ensure statutory filings are met (including audited financials, tax returns, activity statements, FBT)
- Managing bank accounts and payments processes
- Financial compliance (AFSL)
Ideally, you will have some or all of the following qualifications, skills and experiences:
- Be a Chartered Accountant (or equivalent) or be near approaching completion of the program.
- Familiarity with, or as a minimum a genuine interest in, renewable energy sector.
- Be highly proficient in MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Have an interest in implementing new technologies and leveraging digital applications.
What we offer
💰 A competitive salary, bonus, share incentive plan
✈️ Take what you need holiday
🏡 Flexible working
⚓ Anchor (our wellness hub) which includes Headspace
👪 Enhanced family leave policies
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours or part time work. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.
Our culture is critical to our success and is built around three principles that underpin how we pursue our goals.
- Straightforward – Consistently clear and straightforward communications with everyone that you work with.
- Helpful - Assist teammates and wider colleagues to reach and exceed their business targets. Get stuck in and demonstrate you have the passion to make a difference at Octopus. Manage your own mood positively and act with humility, transparency, and integrity in all that you do.
- Bold - Identify, develop, and implement fresh ideas that demonstrate commercial insight and contribute to greater success at Octopus.
At our core, we believe that how a company behaves is just as important as what it does. That’s why we chose to become an accredited B Corp (the equivalent of a Fairtrade coffee stamp but for companies) and to change our Articles of Association so that the interests all our stakeholders – employees, customers, communities, environment and shareholders – are considered in every decision we make.
We’re committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee experience for all. We promote equal opportunities for growth and development regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or socio-economic background. We believe strongly that teams are at their best when every member of the team feels safe to bring their whole self to work.