Octopus is a group of companies which invests in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world.
We believe that the companies serving two of our most important needs – our financial wellbeing and our planet’s future – are failing. And we want that to change. We want everything we do, whether that’s in financial services or energy supply, to have a positive impact on the people it touches.
In our financial services business, we care as much about the impact our investments have, as we do about the returns that we generate for our investors. We manage more than £9.1 billion* on behalf of retail and institutional investors, specialising in renewable energy, real estate, smaller company and venture capital investing.
Our energy supply business - Octopus Energy, is one of the fastest growing companies in the UK. It has grown from start-up to more than 1.7 million customers over the last four years and is now the #1 rated UK energy supply business, and the only one to be recommended by Which? three years in a row.
Octopus Energy, Octopus Giving, Octopus Investments, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Ventures, Seccl Technology and Octopus Wealth are all part of Octopus Group. Visit octopusgroup.com.
Octopus Labs is the tech division of Octopus group. This role sits within the engineering team which comprises of 60 onshore and offshore engineers, testers, architects, and dev and tech leads.
Labs use the latest technology to build state of the art fintech products and internal systems to support our operational activities. Our team are constantly looking for new technologies, and people at all levels of the function are encourage and expected to contribute with ideas on how we can improve our products. We embrace diversity and have people from a wide range of backgrounds working both in the UK and from countries around the world.
About the Role
About the role:
We’re looking for a Front-End Tech Lead to work within Labs reporting to the Dev Team Lead for one of our high profile products.
- You will be responsible for defining the front-end technical architecture of our strategic client portal
- You will work collaboratively with the UX designers to ensure the end product meets the needs of our users
- You will be reviewing and signing off on the design and code of engineers
- You will be identifying, analysing, and improving the performance bottlenecks and other areas of the code that are not meeting our non-functional requirements
- You will be helping define the coding standards, and ensuring that those standards are met by the rest of the team
- You will be responsible for creating technical designs to meet business requirements, and for presenting those designs to C level management in the technical design authority
- You will be the most senior front-end developer in the team, and will be leading meetings for the front-end function
- You will be writing high quality code, and will be setting the standard for the other developers to follow
Knowledge and skills:
Ideally, you’ll have some or all of the following qualifications, skills and job-related experience
- Experience of working with the Infosec, Compliance, and SecOps functions to ensure the security of a system
- Experience leading development of SPA based on React & Redux
- Knowledge of Agile working practices and previous experience of working with SCRUM
- Experience in managing full lifecycle of reusable UI components
- You know how to use Webpack and deploy front-end applications on cloud
- Experience writing frontend unit tests (we use Jest and Enzyme)
- Experience contributing to architecture and design
- Knowledge of continuous delivery and CI/CD pipelines
- An appreciation of cloud-based apps and the limits/advantages of that – specifically Azure and GCP
- Knowledge of micro-frontends and why you should or should not implement them
And to really stand out from the crowd, you will display the following qualities and characteristics:
- You will be great at collaborative working, and will know how to engage with people at all levels of the organisation
- You will be comfortable with change and have the ability to refocus on new projects and tasks at short notice
- You will own problems when they arise and be able to make pragmatic decisions on how to resolve them
- You will have great communication skills, and will be able to effectively work with people who are working remotely
- You will have a genuine interest in technology and will always be on the lookout for new tech which could improve our products
- You understand the importance of the user experience and always put the customer first
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
- We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer:
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.