Octopus is a group of companies which invests in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world.
We believe that the companies serving two of our most important needs – our financial wellbeing and our planet’s future – are failing. And we want that to change. We want everything we do, whether that’s in financial services or energy supply, to have a positive impact on the people it touches.
In our financial services business, we care as much about the impact our investments have, as we do about the returns that we generate for our investors. We manage more than £9.1 billion* on behalf of retail and institutional investors, specialising in renewable energy, real estate, smaller company and venture capital investing.
Our energy supply business - Octopus Energy, is one of the fastest growing companies in the UK. It has grown from start-up to more than 1.7 million customers over the last four years and is now the #1 rated UK energy supply business, and the only one to be recommended by Which? three years in a row.
Octopus Energy, Octopus Giving, Octopus Investments, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Ventures, Seccl Technology and Octopus Wealth are all part of Octopus Group. Visit octopusgroup.com.
About the Role
We’re looking for a Head of UX to work within the Marketing Centre Of Expertise, reporting to the Head of Marketing Delivery. As the Head of UX you will also be leading and heading up the Digital Marketing team here at Octopus. You’ll love this role if you’re high energy, passionate about outstanding digital experiences to improve customer experience, raise brand awareness among niche B2B audiences as well as generate leads and applications. We’re looking for a commercially minded digital marketeer who can develop and drive our digital strategy, motivate a talented team of digital marketers as well as work collaboratively across a large network of stakeholders and functions.
UX experience and design
Ownership and development of the Deep Sea design system in line with the Octopus brand and values
- Lead on the UX and Design strategy in conjunction with Marketing & Product teams
- Development of UX research strategy to allow the team to validate their ideas with the target audiences and distil the salient points into actionable designs and recommendations
- Manage the design priority, adhering to high quality standards and agreed timescales/deadlines
- Keep on top of emerging trends and developments and identifying opportunities
- Measure and optimise key website journeys to improve customer experience and conversion
- Business ownership of the development roadmap for the Wordpress Gutenberg multi-site platform and 11 Octopus Wordpress websites in line with business priorities as well as the third-party development partner
- Maintain content and customer journey across the 11 Octopus websites and multiple digital touchpoints (social media, paid social, search)
- Support and deliver (multi-channel) campaigns across different Octopus businesses as part of cross-department working groups delivering against business KPIs
- Own and develop third party tools and vendor relationships (advertising, analytics, content management, etc.)
- Provide activity, campaign and optimisation reporting as well as encourage and enable a data self-service culture
- Manage website data capture and consent management strategy in compliance with GDPR.
Leadership and strategy
- Champion and embed a UX centric mindset and practices in marketing as well as the wider business
- Support the strategy to create a seamless digital customer experience from logged out to logged in platforms working closely with the product and customer teams
- Create a digital channels commercialisation strategy (increased conversion, greater channel adoption, creation of more relevant lead sources for the sales team, etc.)
- Develop and drive the analytics and optimisation roadmap including the right tooling;
- Develop the content management capability
- Forge and maintain strong relationships with the wider marketing, product, sales, data & insights teams to foster cross-team collaboration.
- Lead, upskill and grow the team (currently 2 Digital Marketing Managers, 2 Digital Marketing Executives, 4 UX/UI Designers , and 1 UX Content Strategist)
- Increase the team’s channel/tool specific knowledge to empower the team and decrease reliance on agencies where relevant
- Encourage ongoing personal development and assist with career progression
- Succession planning
Ideally, you’ll have some or all of the following qualifications, skills and job-related experience
- Track-record of managing a high-performing team
- Expert level understanding of UX standards, UI principles, Responsive Design and Content Design and at significant experience in the field
- Strong expertise of Design Systems, UX Research and Dev standards & frameworks, CMS and web technologies
- Strong understanding of accessibility
- Hands on experience with digital channels (you are expected to deliver, trouble-shoot and lead by example)
- Ability to translate ambiguous stakeholder requirements into projects briefs that the digital, UX design, UX content and product teams can execute upon.
- Experience in delivering successful end-to-end digital campaigns, from concept to execution to reporting and optimisation
- Strong problem-solving skills to identify critical issues and opportunities, evaluate options and provide clear recommendations for improved conversion and customer experience
- Strong analytical skills with consultative approach. Capability to transform online KPI data into actionable insights and execute upon them
- Ability and experience communicating to a wide range of stakeholders across functions and organisational levels
- Working with an established martech stack, including campaign tools and CRMs
- Meticulous organisation and planning
- Project/campaign management and delivery
And to really stand out from the crowd, you will display the following qualities and characteristics:
- Self-motivated, driven and energetic
- Able to work in cross-functional teams, and think laterally across other workstreams
- Be an “ideas person”, motivated by finding new ways of doing things and constantly improving
- Able to influence and get buy in to your ideas, and drive them forward
- Enthusiasm, has keenness to learn, develop and grow
- Flexibility, and open to challenges, curveballs and other opportunities
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strength:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company’s vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for. We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold. We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we’re always learning, adapting and improving We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.