Octopus is a group of companies which invests in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world.
We believe that the companies serving two of our most important needs – our financial wellbeing and our planet’s future – are failing. And we want that to change. We want everything we do, whether that’s in financial services or energy supply, to have a positive impact on the people it touches.
In our financial services business, we care as much about the impact our investments have, as we do about the returns that we generate for our investors. We manage more than £9.1 billion* on behalf of retail and institutional investors, specialising in renewable energy, real estate, smaller company and venture capital investing.
Our energy supply business - Octopus Energy, is one of the fastest growing companies in the UK. It has grown from start-up to more than 1.7 million customers over the last four years and is now the #1 rated UK energy supply business, and the only one to be recommended by Which? three years in a row.
Octopus Energy, Octopus Giving, Octopus Investments, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Ventures, Seccl Technology and Octopus Wealth are all part of Octopus Group. Visit octopusgroup.com.
About the Role
The Institutional Funds team works with the three private market investment teams across the Octopus Group, which include venture capital, real estate and renewable energy investments. We fundraise from institutional investors and manage these relationships on an ongoing basis. Octopus manages over £2.5bn of investments for our institutional investors across several funds which include LP-GP structures, separate managed accounts, co-investment funds and an evergreen vehicle. Our investors include leading financial institutions, pension funds, insurance companies, sovereign wealth funds and family offices.
About the Role
We are searching for a passionate and driven relationship builder to join the Octopus Institutional Funds team and be responsible for initiating, building and maintaining relationships with family office investors in the UK and Europe.
The relationships you’ll develop will support Octopus’ fundraising objectives for our fast-growing range of alternative investment funds across Venture Capital, Renewable Energy and Real Estate.
What you will do:
- Identify, initiate, develop and manage relationships with family offices.
- Working collaboratively with our Institutional Marketing team, devise and execute an events and communications strategy to engage, educate and excite potential investors.
- Assist investors with ad hoc requests and queries to help us manage these relationships on an on-going basis.
- Capture market feedback to inform future fund development.
- Liaise closely with Octopus’ investment teams to gain detailed knowledge of the investment opportunities you’ll be promoting.
- Assume an increasingly independent and strategic role in covering these relationships.
This might describe you:
- Experience in presenting investment opportunities to potential investors.
- Avid networker holding existing trusted relationships with a broad base of family offices.
- Relationship builder - you love forming relationships and maintaining these on an ongoing basis.
- Interest in venture capital or technology focused investments.
- Good technical ability and commercially minded.
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently.
- Avid networker holding existing relationships with family offices and/or institutional investors.
- Detailed - you pay attention to the little things, but you don’t let this hold you back from being productive. You have a strong work ethic and can operate under pressure.
- Prior experience within private markets investor relations.
- Strong desire to focus on sales and investor relationship management.
- Ability to identify, market, meet and build relationships with a broad base of family office investors.
- Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint etc.
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strength:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company’s vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for. We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold. We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we’re always learning, adapting and improving We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.