Octopus is a group of companies which invests in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world.
We believe that the companies serving two of our most important needs – our financial wellbeing and our planet’s future – are failing. And we want that to change. We want everything we do, whether that’s in financial services or energy supply, to have a positive impact on the people it touches.
In our financial services business, we care as much about the impact our investments have, as we do about the returns that we generate for our investors. We manage more than £9.1 billion* on behalf of retail and institutional investors, specialising in renewable energy, real estate, smaller company and venture capital investing.
Our energy supply business - Octopus Energy, is one of the fastest growing companies in the UK. It has grown from start-up to more than 1.7 million customers over the last four years and is now the #1 rated UK energy supply business, and the only one to be recommended by Which? three years in a row.
Octopus Energy, Octopus Giving, Octopus Investments, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Ventures, Seccl Technology and Octopus Wealth are all part of Octopus Group. Visit octopusgroup.com.
About the Role
You will be joining the established Octopus Group Internal Audit function as part of a fixed term contract that is to run for an initial 10 months. This is a 3-person team, and you will report into the Senior Internal Auditor. You need to hit the ground running, helping to implement the internal audit plan and begin adding value in audits within weeks of arriving. You will need to form key partnerships quickly and take ownership of end-to-end internal audit reviews.
- Ability to lead and deliver full end-to-end audits. This will include:
- Determine scope of reviews;
- Review the suitability of internal control design and effectiveness;
- Conduct audit testing of specified areas to identify reportable issues;
- Quantify the risk associated with issues and identify recommendations that can be implemented to mitigate the risk; and
- Accurate, appropriate, and timely reporting to all stakeholders both verbally and via comprehensive and complete audit reports.
- Periodic follow-up on the actions taken by management in implementing audit recommendations.
- To continue to position internal audit as a valued and respected department within the organisation.
- Business partnering with key 2nd line of defence teams e.g. Risk and Compliance.
- Performance of work in line with existing internal audit policies, procedures, and methodologies.
- Identify emerging industry and regulatory issues and assess their implications.
You will love this job if you
- Are passionate about internal audit with the motivation and drive to be successful in a competitive industry.
- Are a ‘hands-on’ person who is always on the lookout for better ways of doing things.
- Enjoy meeting new people and are keen to interact with different people at all levels across the business.
- Are committed to delivering a great experience to all our customers.
- Are objective and will bring a systematic and disciplined approach to the effectiveness of risk management, controls, and governance.
- Qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, AAT, CIMA).
- Proven internal audit and related work experience at increasing levels of responsibility.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, covering a broad range of audit topics.
- Exposure to the Asset Management sector and an understanding of applicable regulatory requirements.
- Relevant internal audit or similar qualification (CIA, CISA) desirable, but not essential.
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.