Established in 2000, Octopus is a group of businesses investing in people, ideas and industries that change the world. You can learn more about us at octopusgroup.com.
At Octopus Investments, we're experts in financial services and we’re also a certified B Corp, meaning we care as much about the impact of our investments as the returns they generate. Today we manage more than £12.4* billion on behalf of retail and institutional investors.
*Funds Under Management data includes undrawn commitments, funds under advisory mandates, funds monitored and the Octopus Cash service as of 31st December 2021
About the Role
About Octopus Ventures
With £1.5 billion under management and investing over £100m a year, Octopus Ventures is one of the largest and most active venture investors in Europe. Our typical investment is from £1 million for Seed to £10 million for Series B and we can continue to fund the companies we back right through to IPO.
Our investment team is built to specialise in the areas we believe will change the world for the better: B2B software, health, fintech, deep tech, and consumer. We back ‘pioneers’ and use the term very deliberately to carve out that subset of entrepreneurs who are truly breaking new ground. Since 2008 we have backed nearly 120 teams, including Zoopla, Swiftkey, WaveOptics, Permutive, Elvie, Bought by Many, Secret Escapes, graze.com and Cazoo.
We are based in London and New York with a network spanning from San Francisco to China. The companies we back become a part of this network, with access to a formidable resource of experience and expertise.
About the role
We're building a team focused on investments in early-stage B2B software companies. Our aim is to give a variety of talented B2B founders and companies a platform to flourish and to bring forward their technology to change the world.
The team aims to close up to 20 new investments per year and to manage our existing B2B software portfolio companies to become £bn+ companies on our journey to become the most active and most successful B2B software investor in Europe.
The Investment Manager will play a central role in the sourcing and execution of new investments and will take board seats to help guide and steer our portfolio companies.
What you’ll do:
- Discover exciting, early-stage B2B Software companies
- You'll use your own and our existing networks, as well as building new networks, to find great B2B Software investment opportunities
- You’ll research and explore areas of interest to find the most attractive opportunities within promising sectors and technologies
- You'll help to drive inbound interest from B2B start-ups by:
- Developing your personal brand as a sucessful B2B Software investor
- Representing the B2B software team at industry events and conferences
- Releasing blogs on topics you’ve researched
- Lead new investments
- You'll lead 3-6 investments per year, taking responsibility for all aspects of the deal process including:
- Leading due diligence, managing advisors, conducting site visits and expert interviews, assessing market opportunity and evaluating financial forecasts
- Recommend and own valuation and ideal round structure, prepare internal briefing and IC documents
- Present and sell new opportunities internally to the investment team and Investment Committee
- Negotiate and win deals
- Support our Portfolio at Board Level
- You'll take on board positions for the investments you lead and potentially other B2B software companies in the Octopus Portfolio;
- You'll attend 4-10 board meetings per company, per year and draw on your own and the Octopus teams’ network to support portfolio companies where possible
- You'll build close working relationships with founding teams of portfolio companies
- Where necessary you will manage complex situations within the portfolio including: performance management, follow-on funding rounds and exits
In this role you'll bring the following essential skills and experience:
- Working with start-up companies as an investor or working in a high-growth environment as an experienced Operator
- Finding and investing in start-ups as part of a fund or as an Angel
- A strong passion and interest in B2B software
- A strong passion for tech investing and knowledge of the VC ecosystem
You may also bring the following highly beneficial but non-essential experience:
- Worked in a Venture Capital firm, accelerator or incubator
- Experience as a Board Director or Observer
- Experience coaching or managing junior team members
What we offer
💰 A competitive salary, bonus, pension and share incentive plan
✈️ Take what you need holiday
🏡 Flexible working
⚓ Anchor (our wellness hub) which includes Headspace, one to one coaching through Sanctus, Parent Cloud, Digital GP, Shout & more
👪 Enhanced family leave policies
❤️ Life insurance, critical illness cover and income protection
🏥 Private medical insurance for you and your family
🚗 Electric vehicle leasing
🌍 The option to work overseas up to a month per year
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold.
We’re committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee experience for all. We promote equal opportunities for growth and development regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or socio-economic background. We believe strongly that teams are at their best when every member of the team feels safe to bring their whole self to work.