Octopus is a group of companies which invests in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world.
We believe that the companies serving two of our most important needs – our financial wellbeing and our planet’s future – are failing. And we want that to change. We want everything we do, whether that’s in financial services or energy supply, to have a positive impact on the people it touches.
In our financial services business, we care as much about the impact our investments have, as we do about the returns that we generate for our investors. We manage more than £9.1 billion on behalf of retail and institutional investors, specialising in renewable energy, real estate, smaller company and venture capital investing.
Our energy supply business - Octopus Energy, is one of the fastest growing companies in the UK. It has grown from start-up to more than 1.7 million customers over the last four years and is now the #1 rated UK energy supply business, and the only one to be recommended by Which? three years in a row.
Octopus Energy, Octopus Giving, Octopus Investments, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Ventures, Seccl Technology and Octopus Wealth are all part of Octopus Group. Visit octopusgroup.com.
About the Role
About the Role
The Development Capital team provides growth capital funding to B2B software companies. The team has recently seen a strong set of exits and has raised fresh capital and is looking to expand its team as part of an exciting long-term growth plan.
The team will be looking to execute 10+ new B2B software investments per year. Examples of recent investments include telephony software provider Natterbox, learning experience platform Fuse Universal and website quality management software provider Ryte.
This is a mid-level hire with responsibilities focused on leading the origination, structuring and execution of growth capital investments of typically up to £10m into UK and International fast-growth software businesses, as well as supporting fund management and fundraising activities.
The successful candidate will also have the opportunity to join the boards of portfolios companies and support management teams with their growth ambitions.
- Building and maintaining a strong origination network in the VC / growth capital market
- As part of a deal team, executing all aspects of a deal, including negotiation, financial analysis, deal structuring, due diligence and legal documentation
- Preparing investment papers and presenting to Investment Committee
- Board director involvement in portfolio companies
- Assisting the team with strategic initiatives, fund management responsibilities and fundraising
Desired Experience/Technical Skills/Abilities
- Experience leading multiple end to end transactions from a relevant investment firm (e.g. growth capital, venture capital, venture debt or private equity)
- Excellent financial, analytical and commercial skills for assessing and executing investment opportunities
- Experience of investing into growth companies, and / or knowledge of the B2B software
- Proficient understanding of key legal documents and deal structures used in VC / growth investing
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the confidence to convey informed viewpoints to colleagues and external counterparties at all levels of seniority
- A proactive, driven self-starter, who thrives on challenges and fast pace, can manage multiple workstreams concurrently and is able to work collaboratively with team members at all levels
- A genuine team player with a passion for developing colleagues and strong sense of fun
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and are always learning, adapting and improving.
- We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.