At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 800 people and manage more than £8.3 billion on behalf of over 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Wealth and Octopus Renewables. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions
About the Role
This role represents an opportunity to join and a busy and diverse finance team, responsible for managing entities with £2bn AuM. Reporting to the Finance Director, the Financial Controller will provide operational management and oversight to the OITS Finance Team while also actively participating in projects to develop and enhance current operations.
The role will suit an experienced financial controller with a strong technical background and experience of managing a large group of companies as well as finance system implementation, who relishes the prospect of delivering process improvements. Equally important will be the ability to provide support and guidance to a team of four accountants.
This role sits within the OITS Finance team where an exciting opportunity has arisen for a talented Financial Controller to join our fast-paced team. The OITS Finance team are part of the Funds Finance Centre of Excellence and are responsible for the provision of finance services across the Octopus Inheritance Tax Services (“OITS”) product. This role will provide oversight of the team deliverables and line management of the 4 team members. The OITS team are responsible for the Fern and Bracken groups and Terido LLP. The largest of these being the Fern group which is a group of almost 300 companies, managed by a combination of internal and external finance teams. The successful candidate will need to be flexible and comfortable working in a dynamic, fast-paced and changing environment.
Team management and oversight
- Oversee day-to-day activities of the team, ensuring it operates seamlessly and in a controlled manner, delivering on time and to a high standard.
- Line manage OITS team, supporting them to deliver a strong performance against challenging objectives, and providing regular review and feedback.
- Provide leadership of the Fern Group, across internal and external component finance teams, meeting regularly with Finance Directors around the Group.
- Chair the Technical Panel which provides review and challenge of all technical accounting matters across Funds Finance.
- Contribute to the Funds Finance Leadership Team, working collaboratively with other Financial Controllers to make Funds Finance a great place to work.
- Support the Finance Director as required.
Financial Control and Review
- Maintain robust review and control procedures to ensure that all statutory, regulatory and management reports are completed accurately and in a timely manner.
- Manage and develop the existing control environment, identifying key risks and adapting to meet the evolving needs of the OITS business. Continually review the risk and control environment to ensure that it is appropriate to the size and nature of the business.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of key issues impacting our team and the wider business and ensure open lines of communication across the team.
- Provide leadership for the Group audit process ensuring deadlines are strictly adhered to.
Project Management and Delivery
- Actively participate in new systems implementation projects ensuring they’re delivered on time and to a specification that meets the requirements of the OITS entities.
- Support OITS team to deliver on enhancement project for existing systems, ensuring that adequate time and resource is allocated to delivering identified improvements.
- Support the delivery of an updated and enhanced financial control framework for the OITS entitie
- An experienced Financial Controller with a proven track record of managing finance teams in complex group environments is essential, and it would further be beneficial if experience was gained running a Group Finance function, dealing with complex consolidations.
- Strong people management skills are essential.
- Candidates must have experience of working in financial services, and a background of working in fund management would be beneficial.
- Experience of implementing finance systems and delivering process improvements is desirable.
- The successful candidate will need to demonstrate good interpersonal skills and the ability to quickly build relationships within their team and across departments.
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strength:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company’s vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for. We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold. We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we’re always learning, adapting and improving We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.