At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 800 people and manage more than £8 billion on behalf of over 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Wealth and Octopus Renewables. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
Patch Management Engineer
The mission of the IT team is to provide innovative and reliable technology solutions to help the business and their clients work smarter and more efficiently. The IT team has grown significantly over the last year in terms of numbers of people, systems supported and projects to deliver. Technology is seen as the enabler to helping the company further differentiate itself on customer service as well as allowing it to grow rapidly without constraining the business.
About the Role
We'll love you if:
- Patching systems is your passion!
- Vulnerability Mitigation is an OCD obsession
- You were the kind of kid who took things apart just to put them back together (correctly)
- BigFix is an old friends of yours
- You have a strong background in tech support & system maintenance
- HOW is just as important as WHAT you do
- You are a confident communicator, enjoy working in a friendly, collaborative, fast-paced team and are comfortable talking to people at all levels of the business
You'll love us if you enjoy:
- Solving problems - vulnerabilities happen and you're there to patch them
- Client patch management & vulnerability monitoring
- Being one of the go-to people for understanding how software works
- Having passion about customer experience and a commitment to exceeding expectations
- Imparting knowledge to the teams supporting your delivery
- Vulnerability & Patch Management of production applications & software
- Assessment, planning & co-ordination with other teams regarding Patch Management
- Ensuring adequate patch testing is carried out
- Monitoring & responding to alerts from security tooling
- Collaborating with relevant IT service owners to improve security, delivery & communication
- Acting as an escalation point for vulnerability incidents
- Supporting the IT Ops teams with technology mentoring & training
- Software & application maintenance experience
- Vulnerability & Patch Management deployment experience
- Good knowledge of Windows and Mac operating systems
- Good understanding of patching technology
- Awareness of Security Information Event Management (SIEM) technology
- Octopus Labs is driving innovation and technical change throughout the Octopus Group
- We're one of the largest VCs in Europe
- We love entrepreneurs
- We're happy for you to keep working on your side-projects.
- Started in a bedroom 20 years ago and still run by the same founders we have a strong entrepreneurial flair and a culture of always asking questions
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.