Octopus is a group of businesses investing in the people, ideas and industries that will help change the world. Founded in 2000, we’re now one of the UK’s fastest-growing companies, operating in two sectors – financial services and energy supply. In our financial services business, we’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist investment sectors, including smaller companies, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ more than 750 people and manage more than £10 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 retail and institutional investors. At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people.
We’re a group of entrepreneurially-minded businesses, each built on the belief that people and the planet deserve better. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Wealth, Octopus Giving and Seccl.
Life at Octopus is never dull. We’re an ambitious, people-first business that wants to make the world a better place. Because of this, we value energy, curiosity, resilience, and integrity. We’re different from most other companies you may have worked for. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About Octopus Ventures
With £1.3 billion under management and investing over £100m a year, Octopus Ventures (OV) is one of the largest and most active venture investors in Europe. Our typical investment is from £1 million for Seed to £10 million for Series B and we can continue to fund the companies we back right through to IPO.
Our investment team is built to specialise in the four areas we believe will change the world for the better: health, money, deep tech and consumer. We back ‘pioneers’ and we use the term very deliberately to carve out that subset of entrepreneurs who are truly breaking new ground. Since 2008 we have backed nearly 120 teams, including Zoopla, Swiftkey, WaveOptics, Elvie, Bought by Many, Tails.com, Secret Escapes, graze.com and Cazoo.
We are based in London and New York with a network that spans from San Francisco to China. The companies we back become a part of this network, with access to a formidable resource of experience and expertise.
About the Role
You will be the Talent Partner for our Deep Tech investment pod and portfolio. This means you will work on projects to help our Deep Tech companies recruit and retain talent. You will also work with the OV Portfolio Talent team to develop our broader set of resources that we’ll make available to portfolio companies. Ultimately, you will be the in-house expert for the deep tech talent market (comp, mapping, etc.).
As that expert, you will be partnering with the deep tech businesses to help them plan their organisational structures, set up engineering recruitment, and develop commercial teams. This all in addition to coaching on the fundamentals: culture, values, employer branding, comp + ben, etc.
What you are working on can vary from day to day. You can expect to be spending your time with portfolio companies, building resources for a broader group of businesses, and working with the OV Talent Team on different initiatives that will continue to establish OV Talent in market.
- Work with the Deep Tech Portfolio to help all companies recruit / retain their talented teams
- Establish yourself as the go-to Talent Partner for the Deep Tech investment team, and portfolio
- Build a network within the Deep Tech community, of recruitment partners, L+D Partners, and advisors that could support the portfolio
- Identify and seize on opportunities across the Deep Tech portfolio and community for connection, shared learning, and collaboration.
- Work with the Portfolio Talent Team to develop materials, products, and initiatives that will support recruitment and retention across the portfolio
- Respond to any inquiries from OV team or Portfolio company w/in 12 working hours
- UK / Europe Deep Tech Talent Guru - you have worked with deep tech companies in the past, and understand how to build them from the ground up including the technology team, commercial team, and board seats
- Project Management - you can take on a meaty project and execute flawlessly
- Adaptable - you are OK working on different projects, with different people, sometimes over the course of one day. In fact, you prefer this style of working, every day is a little different!
- Community-driven - you like to bring people together and help them learn from one another.
- Detailed - you pay attention to the little things, but you don’t let this hold you back from being productive. It shows in the emails you send and the documents you create.
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strength:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company’s vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for. We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold. We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we’re always learning, adapting and improving We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee experience for all. We are committed to promoting equal opportunities for growth and development regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or socio-economic background.
We believe strongly that teams are at their best wherever member of the team feels safe to bring their whole self to work.