At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 750 people and manage more than £8.3 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About the Role
The Renewables Financial Accountant is responsible for an expanding portfolio of Solar and Wind assets, with a growing international presence in Italy, France, Finland and Australia. For most assets, much of the day to day operations and accounting is outsourced. The Renewables Financial Accountant will be responsible for the quality of the International management accounts and financial information and so will spend a high proportion of their time managing the performance of the external accounting teams. This will include supporting and improving information flows between teams, managing the quality of their outputs and establishing appropriate controls.
The companies that own the energy generating assets are owned by a number of retail and institutional Octopus managed funds. Alongside the financial management of the International portfolio, the Renewables Financial Accountant will also be accountable for the financial reporting of our institutional and Listed funds. This will involve calculating and forecasting distributions and assisting with the reporting delivery to key investors.
The role sits within the Funds Finance team, reporting directly into the Octopus Renewables Financial Controller. Funds Finance is a 35-strong team which operates across the Fund Management team maintaining close operational involvement with the investment business. The Renewables team interacts with several other teams across Fund Finance and the wider business, so it is imperative that the Renewables Financial Accountant is able to work closely with outsourced finance team as well as building strong working relationships with the investment teams.
Key Role Responsibilities
International portfolio responsibilities:
- Review and challenge management accounts provided by external accountants
- Report on the financial performance of the portfolio at monthly director meetings
- Deal with all queries – taking ownership of requests and issues, creating stakeholder goodwill by providing appropriate solutions in a timely manner
- Working closely with the Octopus Renewables commercial asset managers to monitor all costs against budgets and assist with quarterly valuations
- Project manage the SPV level audits and review of statutory financial statements and corporation tax returns; liaising with external auditors as required
- Ensure a robust control environment is present throughout the international portfolio and in particular for onboarding of new international sites
Institutional and Listed reporting responsibilities:
- Quarterly distribution calculations and cash flow forecasting
- Completing second tier consolidations for Institutional funds
- Providing financial performance analysis for the fund on a quarterly basis
- Review and challenge Fund management accounts provided by external fund administrators
- Project manage the fund level audits and review of statutory financial statements; liaising with external auditors as required
- Ad hoc reports and analysis as required
- Be a valued business partner and build and maintain good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Identify system improvements and take ownership of driving change across the team. This will involve working closely with external accountants to improve current processes across the portfolio.
- Qualified accountant (ACA/ACCA) with up to 2 years post qualification experience (preferably gained in a relevant role)
- Good technical knowledge of UK GAAP and IFRS
- Experience of working with renewable energy investment assets and an understanding of relevant subsidy schemes is preferable
- Good knowledge of fund accounting and fund structures preferred
- Knowledge of SUN/Vision would be an advantage.
- Highly organised, able to plan ahead to deliver accurate information to tight reporting deadlines
Excellent communication skills, with a proven ability to work well with different teams and manage a range of different stakeholder
Self-motivated and aspirational, comfortable working in a fast-paced changing environment
French or Italian speaking would be a bonus.
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.