At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 750 people and manage more than £8.3 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Moneycoach, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About the Role
About The Team:
You will play a key part in transforming Octopus to being a data-driven organization. You have a passion for DATA and love finding interesting ways to innovate data development.
You will be responsible for the development of the data warehouse platform - which includes ingestion of the data from various business critical systems, storage of data in the Azure Synapse Cloud data warehouse and transformation of data to report friendly structure.
You will also actively share your data handling expertise on various projects across the business.
About The Role:
This role sits within the Data Team. We channel data requests and provide innovative and reliable solutions. The data team is responsible for agile planning, requirements gathering, developing, analysing and supporting multi-platform databases.
- Flexible working hours.
- Exceptionally diverse/multinational team.
- Competitive Salary + benefits.
- Relaxed, creative environment.
- Stunning office, (even though we are mostly WFH at the moment)
- Extensive experience as a data engineer – with excellent knowledge on data ingest, storage and transformation
- Experience in working with various database technologies – Azure SQL, SQL Server, MySQL, Elastic Search etc
- Experience in handling various data formats – json, xml, delimited, avro etc
- Experience in handling data in both large volume and as continuous trickle
- Experience in working with automated build, testing and deployment
- Experience in data modelling – both OLTP and Star Schema
- Experience in scripting languages, particularly Python
- Experience in working with Azure Cloud services including database, message queue and blob storage
- Advantage if you have experience in using our technology stack – StreamSets for data ingestion, Azure Synapse for data warehouse and DBT for data transformation
- Advantage if you have experience working with Power BI – datasets and reports
- Knowledge of SSIS is desirable
- Knowledge of Financial Services is desirable
- Must have aptitude and willingness to learn new software and technologies.
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we’re always learning, adapting and improving.
- We understand who our customers are and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer:
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.