SENIOR BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER – Octopus Australia
This is an opportunity to join the Octopus office in Melbourne or Sydney. The successful applicant will be able to join the Octopus Investments Australia team on their mission to accelerate Australia's transition to a future powered by renewable energy.
Octopus Group is one of the largest owners of renewable energy projects in Australia and Europe. It owns some 260 assets, on behalf of wholesale and institutional investors. Domestically, Octopus Australia is responsible for managing over $1 billion of assets for local and international investors.
Globally Octopus is on a mission to invest in the people, ideas and industries that will change the world. We have 2,500 employees and $25bn under management across investments, energy, ventures and real estate. From a standing start in 2010 Octopus grew its energy investment business rapidly to become Europe’s largest non-utility renewable energy investor and now has the equivalent of greater than $11bn energy assets under management. We also have one of the fastest growing energy retail businesses globally with almost 3 million customers.
Octopus Investments Australia
Established in 2018, Octopus Australia is a team of over 35 plus people across Melbourne, Sydney, and Auckland, and is growing rapidly. We have big ambitions to become the premier developer/owner/operator of renewable energy assets in Australia and have a strong pipeline of projects including solar, wind and grid battery storage across the country.
About the Role
- Full Time
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with all existing distribution partners to meet sales budgets as set by the business;
- Develop and implement sales strategies to grow Octopus wholesale business;
- Lead a sales team to deliver on fundraising objectives
- Conduct a high level of ongoing contact with new and existing financial planners through one-on-one appointments, Microsoft Teams, telephone and email.
- Attendance at dealer group and industry conferences,
- Develop new relationships with Key Accounts, Family office/Private Banks/IFA firms
- Manage relationship with platform clients, including reporting, agreements, investment menu, fees
- Domestic Travel is required in this role
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, with CFA preferred but not essential.
- At least 5 years of sales or service experience
- Strong knowledge of financial services industry
- Strong knowledge of funds management products and key competitors
- Working knowledge of Microsoft business desktop applications
- Existing strong relationships with financial adviser, licensee management, and platforms.
- Relationships with family offices and private wealth firms preferred but not essential.
- Team player
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to deliver strong sales presentations
- Ability to work without supervision and manage time and workload effectively
- Ability to perform multiple tasks in a fast paced, team environment
- Strong sales process including ability to run a sales pipeline and client segmentation
- Ability to effectively manage expenses
What we offer
- 💰 A competitive salary package including bonus and medical insurance benefits
- ✈️ Extra Annual Leave entitlement
- 🏡 Flexible working
- Ongoing learning and career development opportunities
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. We also understand the value of diversity, and we are dedicated to creating an inclusive workplace environment. We would welcome people of all backgrounds to apply.
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone to shares our values of being straightforward, helpful, and bold. Our culture is critical to our success and is built around three principles that underpin how we pursue our goals:
- Be Bold – We like people who make decisions quickly and are OK changing their mind if it turns out there’s a better way of doing things.
- Be Helpful – We like People who behave like it always day one and who remember without our customers there is no business.
- Be Straightforward – We like people who have opinions and express them in a way that’s respectful and easy to understand.
At our core, we believe that how a company behaves is just as important as what it does. That’s why we chose to become an accredited B Corp (the equivalent of a Fairtrade coffee stamp but for companies) and to change our Articles of Association so that the interests all our stakeholders – employees, customers, communities, environment and shareholders – are considered in every decision we make.
We’re committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee experience for all. We promote equal opportunities for growth and development regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or socio-economic background. We believe strongly that teams are at their best when every member of the team feels safe to bring their whole self to work.