At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 800 people and manage more than £8.5 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About the Role
- Manage the L&D Team (2/3 employees) and deliver key learning priorities for the business.
- Design, facilitate and deliver virtual and classroom training modules and other process improvement/business change learning.
- Experienced and effective at delivery and facilitation.
- Act as a role model, championing the organisations culture, values, and behaviours.
- Collaborate across the People Team and business to understand the businesses learning & development needs and develop solutions to meet these requirements.
- Continuously develop the skills and performance of all people managers. Provide a coaching environment where managers are continually developing their skills and knowledge. Maintaining clear records of coaching activity including improvement plans.
- Excellent project management skills – Octopus is fast paced, and you will constantly be juggling priorities and need to be comfortable at managing multiple projects to tight deadlines.
- Budget management – Management and finding smarter ways to spend it like your own.
- System/tech – You are curious and take an interest in staying ahead of the game with learning solutions to keep Octopus thinking innovatively when it comes to L&D solutions.
- Curiosity to learn – The need and want to learn and practice what you preach!
- EQ – Emotional Intelligence is essential both management of self and others.
- Proven experience training soft-skills such as EQ, feedback and influencing as well as business knowledge training
- Experience in a similar role managing people and coaching in an ever-changing environment.
- Excellent communication skills, approachable and good at forming and developing relationships with people of all levels across the business.
- Ability to use your own initiative, work with minimal supervision and the ability to ‘think on your feet’.
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines and own workload within a busy environment.
- An organised approach to enable you to coach a multitude of managers from diverse backgrounds, whilst establishing trust and integrity.
- Resilience – Delivery can be draining so important that you have ‘grit’ when it comes to keep going and finding a way.
- Experience of delivering change
- Experience of training/coaching and facilitating
- Experience in tech & digital learning
- Essential: Experience of delivering SDI
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strength:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company’s vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we’re always learning, adapting and improving.
We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions.