Established in 2000, Octopus is a group of businesses investing in people, ideas and industries that change the world. You can learn more about us at octopusgroup.com.
At Octopus Investments, we're experts in financial services and we’re also a certified B Corp, meaning we care as much about the impact of our investments as the returns they generate. Today we manage more than £12.4* billion on behalf of retail and institutional investors.
*Funds Under Management data includes undrawn commitments, funds under advisory mandates, funds monitored and the Octopus Cash service as of 31st December 2021
Octopus Labs is the tech division of Octopus group. This role sits within the engineering team which comprises of 60 onshore and offshore engineers, testers, architects, development managers and technical leads.
Labs use the latest technology to build state of the art systems to support our business processes. Our team are constantly looking for new technologies, and people at all levels of the function are encourage and expected to contribute with ideas on how we can improve our products. We embrace diversity and have people from a wide range of backgrounds working both in the UK and from countries around the world.
Here is an exciting opportunity for an experienced .Net Developer to join a cross-functional team of 10 people. As a well as the day-to-day role, you will support the Lead Developer in defining the overall technical direction. You will work on multiple products in a fast-changing and entrepreneurial environment.
About the Role
About the role
We are transitioning to an event driven Microservices architecture and as a Senior .Net Developer you will be designing and building integrations between our applications and services. This includes back office systems, a new CRM implementation, and client portals. Whilst you’re passionate about coding, you are equally interested in design.
We develop systems and components that support a distributed architecture, so you will be creating cloud-based microservices using the latest technology from the Microsoft stack. We complement that with non-MS enterprise-level software such as Kafka. It is a hands-on role, and you will be coding as well as reviewing others' work. You will be a mentor for the developers in your team and will be an SME in engineering best practices and creating high quality, scalable, cloud-native applications.
What You’ll Do
- Write reusable, testable, and efficient code
- Design and implementation of low-latency, high-availability, and performant applications
- Contribute to the production of accurate technical designs that conform to our target architecture and agreed standards, and present those designs at the technical design authority
- Implement security and data protection processes
- Provision of resources in Azure Cloud
- Define CI/CD pipelines in Azure DevOps
- Integrate data storage solutions such as databases, key-vaults, blob storage, etc.
- Performing code and design reviews for more junior engineers
You will have some or all of the following experiences
- An expert in .Net, .Net core, C#, and SQL Server
- In-depth knowledge of microservices and the challenges that come with a distributed architecture
- Understanding of fundamental design principles required for an effective, scalable application
- Ability to create database schemas that represent and support business processes
- Strong unit test and debugging skills
- Knowledge of core engineering principles such as OO, SOLID, TDD
- Experience working with message brokers, ideally Kafka
- You have a good grasp of accessibility and security compliance, knowledge of the OWASP top 10
- A history of working in teams that follow Agile delivery methodologies
- Experience with Azure cloud and of provisioning resources for cloud-native apps
- Solid understanding of DevOps principles and experience of configuring CI/CD pipelines in Azure DevOps
- You enjoy collaborative working and will know how to engage with people at all levels of the organisation
- You are comfortable with change and can refocus on new projects and tasks at short notice
- You will own problems when they arise and be able to make pragmatic decisions on how to resolve them
- You have great communication skills and will be able to work effectively with colleagues based remotely
- You have a genuine interest in technology and will always be on the lookout for new tech which could improve our products
What we offer
💰 A competitive salary, bonus, pension and share incentive plan
✈️ Take what you need holiday
🏡 Flexible working
⚓ Anchor (our wellness hub) which includes Headspace, one to one coaching through Sanctus, Parent Cloud, Digital GP, Shout & more
👪 Enhanced family leave policies
❤️ Life insurance, critical illness cover and income protection
🏥 Private medical insurance for you and your family
🚗 Electric vehicle leasing
🌍 The option to work overseas up to a month per year
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold.
We’re committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee experience for all. We promote equal opportunities for growth and development regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or socio-economic background. We believe strongly that teams are at their best when every member of the team feels safe to bring their whole self to work.