Octopus is a group of businesses investing in the people, ideas and industries that will help change the world. Founded in 2000, we’re now one of the UK’s fastest-growing companies, operating in two sectors – financial services and energy supply. In our financial services business, we’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist investment sectors, including smaller companies, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ more than 750 people and manage more than £10 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 retail and institutional investors. At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people.
We’re a group of entrepreneurially-minded businesses, each built on the belief that people and the planet deserve better. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Wealth, Octopus Giving and Seccl.
Life at Octopus is never dull. We’re an ambitious, people-first business that wants to make the world a better place. Because of this, we value energy, curiosity, resilience, and integrity. We’re different from most other companies you may have worked for. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About the Role
Reporting to the Head of Finance - Ventures, this role requires an individual who is highly organised, capable of both dealing with multiple workstreams and running defined processes efficiently and autonomously.
The team you will be working for are busy and diverse. To excel in this role, it is essential that you are proactive, keen to learn, focused, self-motivated and able to work under deadlines.
About the role
This role sits within the Ventures Finance team where an exciting opportunity has arisen for a talented Fund Accountant to join our fast-paced team and take on responsibility for the financial management, reporting and business partnering for the VCT. This role sits alongside three qualified accountants.
This role will be suitable for a self-starter, comfortable working individually on projects or collaboratively within a team, and someone who will be able to demonstrate strong organisational skills to manage multiple projects. As they will be working closely with the Investment Management team, the right individual will need to be adaptable, demonstrate strong technical skills and be ready to manage a wide range of stakeholder relationships.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Complete all statutory and regulatory reporting for the funds. In particular, manage the interim and year end process, audit deliverables and produce the annual reports in a timely manner allowing time for reports to undergo an appropriate level of review.
- Prepare financial results on a monthly basis and assess whether results indicate any potential issues in the portfolio, and flag these as required with the Head of Finance.
- Collate and prepare the quarterly finance reports for the Board pack.
- Assist in preparing the budget and cash flow forecast of assigned VCT funds on a timely basis to ensure sufficient cash is available for the ongoing requirements of the funds, including but not limited to, buybacks, dividends and investments.
- Develop an understanding of the assigned VCT funds and a working knowledge of their portfolios.
- Maintain accurate books and records for the funds at all times (financial records fully updated and reconciled monthly) consistent with group processes and controls.
- Maintain good working relationships with the investment managers and other teams both within Octopus and externally, ensuring that Finance play a leading role in ensuring the seamless management of the funds.
- Develop an understanding on all legislation relevant to the VCT funds and apply this consistently in all aspects of their work.
- Regularly update Reg. 22 monitoring reports to ensure assigned funds are continually in compliance, to ensure that these reports are reviewed internally on a monthly basis and externally twice a year.
- Prepare any adhoc analysis as required.
- Provide prompt and accurate financial information to investment teams on queries.
- Prepare any adhoc analysis as required.
- Newly Qualified Accountant (ACA/ACCA or equivalent)
- Financial Services experience desirable but not essential.
- Proven track record of delivering results.
- The successful candidate will need to demonstrate good interpersonal skills and the ability to quickly build relationships within their team and across departments.
- The successful candidate will need to have an understanding and willingness to get into the detail as required.
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.