Octopus is a group of innovative, entrepreneurial businesses investing in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values. Personality counts.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. We are experts in financial services and energy, transforming these markets by offering our customers access to smart and simple solutions that do what we say they will.
About the role
This role sits within the Funds Finance Centre of Expertise, responsible for the provision of finance services for funds managed by Octopus, specifically Octopus Inheritance Tax Services (“OITS”). The OITS portfolio has over £2bn AuM across 3 core areas: lending; energy operations; and healthcare operations; as well as entering some new markets including ultra-fast fibre optic broadband.
The successful candidate will be responsible for business partnering of the fibre and healthcare entities within the Fern Group, in addition to managing aspects of the Fern Group reporting requirements such as cash flow and consolidations.
The Financial Accountant will have a comprehensive understanding of the Fibre and Healthcare divisions, provide technical accounting support to the outsourced finance teams, review and challenge financial reporting and have experience in accounting for acquisitions and other corporate transactions. Being able to understand and partner with the business is key to our team and through the passage of time, there may be commercial and strategic projects where this role will be expected to support; such projects may include debt raising, restructuring and acquisitions.
This role will be suitable for a self-starter, comfortable working individually on projects or collaboratively within a team, and someone who will be able to demonstrate strong organisational skills to manage multiple projects. As they will be working closely with the Portfolio Management teams, the right individual will need to be adaptable, demonstrate strong technical skills and be ready to manage a wide range of stakeholder relationships
About the Role
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Develop a thorough understanding of the OITS product and the respective entities.
- Maintain good working relationships with the investment managers and other teams both within Octopus and externally, ensuring that Finance play a leading role in ensuring the seamless management of the funds.
- Act as a business partner to the externally managed finance teams responsible for the day to day accounting of the Fibre and Healthcare subsidiaries.
- Support the investment team on new acquisitions and / or disposals within these sectors.
- Manage and have a thorough understanding of the cashflow across all OITS entities; monitor cash balances, arrange transfers between entities, liaise with the relevant teams to monitor progress against forecasts and request drawdowns on the Revolving Credit Facility (RCF).
- Prepare quarterly consolidated reporting of the Fibre and Healthcare entities for the Fern Group.
- Review monthly reporting packs and annual budgets prepared by externally managed finance teams for the Fibre and Healthcare subsidiaries, resolving any queries and ensuring they are in a format to be included in the group’s consolidated figures.
- Liaise with externally managed finance teams for Fibre and Healthcare subsidiaries to ensure adherence to the Group’s audit and budget timetables.
- Contribute to the production of group’s quarterly MI pack and annual report. Provide commentary on results for the fibre and healthcare sectors.
- Prepare weekly and monthly cashflows, including a monthly cashflow forecast for senior stakeholders.
- Prepare LTIP calculations on a quarterly basis and provide technical oversite for the accounting of new schemes.
- Liaise with the group’s auditors on providing information and answering queries on the audit of the Fern Group including the supporting the completion of the annual report.
- Finance lead on distributions and allotments within the Fern Group.
- Be the key point of contact for any technical queries from the externally managed Fibre and Healthcare subsidiaries.
- Prepare technical papers for internal stakeholders and / or auditors as required.
- Support the investment management team on transactions including providing technical accounting support.
- Critically review all existing processes. Suggest, and where relevant implement, enhanced processes to drive efficiency throughout the team.
- Support the Financial Controller with the transition of management reporting from Excel to a reporting tool.
- Provide support and input into the Fern Group annual report and audit process.
- Support the implementation of enhanced IT systems and the integration into the wider Finance technology solution for the business.
- Provide prompt and accurate financial information to investment teams on queries.
- Ensure that robust processes are embedded by taking a lead on the delivery of automation of information to reduce the reliance on spreadsheets and manual inputs, for both internal and external data requests.
- To undertake other ad hoc tasks as directed by the OITS Finance Manager, Financial Controller or Finance Director.
- Qualified Accountant (ACA/ACCA or equivalent).
- Financial Services experience desirable but not essential.
- Proven track record of delivering results.
- The successful candidate will need to demonstrate good interpersonal skills and the ability to quickly build relationships within their team and across departments.
- The successful candidate will need to have an understanding and willingness to get into the detail as required.
Random acts of kindness make the workplace a better place so, go out of your way to be helpful, and give people reasons to smile.
Life is complicated enough. Don’t make it harder for yourself, or for others. Sometimes the simplest approach works wonders.
Every great business started with a flash of inspiration. If you’ve got a great idea, don’t keep it to yourself.
At Octopus, we recognise the importance of embracing diversity in order to create a high-performance culture.