Established in 2000, Octopus is a group of businesses investing in people, ideas and industries that change the world. You can learn more about us at octopusgroup.com.
At Octopus Investments, we're experts in financial services and we’re also a certified B Corp, meaning we care as much about the impact of our investments as the returns they generate. Today we manage more than £12.4* billion on behalf of retail and institutional investors.
*Funds Under Management data includes undrawn commitments, funds under advisory mandates, funds monitored and the Octopus Cash service as of 31st December 2021
About the Role
This role sits within the Fund Management Group (“FMG”) Reporting and Controls team, which is part of the Finance Centre of Expertise. The FMG Reporting and Controls team is a 30-strong team, responsible for the provision of finance services for funds managed by Octopus. These include Octopus Inheritance Tax Services (“OITS”), Enterprise Investment Schemes (“EIS”) and Octopus Sustainable Infrastructure Fund (“OSIF”), as well as Institutional Funds.
Reporting to the Financial Controller (OITS), this role requires an individual who is highly organised, capable of dealing with multiple workstreams and running defined processes efficiently and autonomously. To excel in this role, it is essential that you are proactive, keen to learn, focused, self-motivated and able to work to deadlines.
This exciting opportunity has arisen for a talented Accountant to join our fast-paced team and take on responsibility for the EIS and new Sustainable Infrastructure portfolios within the wider OITS, due to recent setup of our OSIF portfolio. The successful candidate will be responsible for Business Partnering with the EIS and OSIF subsidiaries, working closely to produce and understand financial information, as well as set up the processes and financial controls for the new OSIF fund.
Being able to understand and partner with the business is key to our team and through the passage of time, there may be commercial and strategic projects where this role will be expected to support; such projects may include debt raising, restructuring and acquisitions.
This role will be suitable for a self-starter, comfortable working individually on projects or collaboratively within a team, and someone who will be able to demonstrate strong organisational skills to manage multiple projects. They will be expected to work closely with the rest of the OITS team in addition to other stakeholders within the business including Company Secretarial and Portfolio Management, so the right individual will need to be adaptable, demonstrate technical skills and be ready to manage a wide range of stakeholder relationships.
- Take full ownership of the OSIF and EIS funds and operating companies within the OITS portfolio, completing management accounts for the respective entities.
- Manage the relationship with the fund administrator, provide feedback and ensure the quality of deliverables is up to standard.
- Business partner for the EIS and OSIF sectors within our portfolio.
- Develop a thorough understanding of the sectors OSIF and EIS invest in, and use this to provide necessary analysis to the investment teams.
- Work with Company Secretarial to ensure dividends and investments are calculated and recorded correctly.
- Support Company Secretarial and other OITS team members in financing and accounting for new acquisitions.
- Provide the investment management team with timely reporting and responses to adhoc queries on the EIS and OSIF entities.
- Prepare management accounts for the EIS and OSIF holding and SPV entities to a consistently high standard to meet strict deadlines. To include preparing journals, reviewing cash book entries.
- Prepare accurate and timely consolidations for the EIS and OSIF subdivisions.
- Prepare quarterly valuation information for the EIS companies, and, working with the valuation team, set up the valuation process for OSIF.
- To ensure company information and accounts are appropriately updated for transactions information, and year-end audit adjustments are reflected in the accounts and records swiftly and accurately.
- Support the preparation of EIS and OSIF financial statements by collating and reviewing information for the notes to the financial statements.
- Ensure the capital structure is recognised correctly in the accounts and Companies House.
- Liaise with external finance teams, if needed, who prepare some of the management reporting to develop a thorough understanding of their businesses and ensure timely delivery of financial information, challenging where appropriate.
- To maintain a thorough understanding of all the OITS entities and a working knowledge of current issues impacting them and apply this knowledge to reports and narrative produced.
- Preparation of VAT returns where required
- Be the key point of contact for audit and technical queries on the EIS and OSIF companies.
- Prepare technical papers for acquisitions and disposals within the OSIF and EIS sectors, using relevant accounting standards, for submission to the Technical Panel and the group’s auditors.
- Be the key finance contact for EIS and OSIF
- Prepare any adhoc analysis as required.
- Support the Financial Controller with the OSIF financial control setup and processes.
- Provide prompt and accurate financial information to investment teams on queries.
- Ensure that robust processes are embedded by taking a lead on the delivery of automation of information to reduce the reliance on spreadsheets and manual inputs, for both internal and external data requests.
- Assist with other OITS Funds, where possible and bandwidth allows.
- Qualified Accountant (ACA/ACCA or equivalent).
- Financial Services experience desirable but not essential.
- Proven track record of delivering results.
- The successful candidate will need to demonstrate good interpersonal skills and the ability to quickly build relationships within their team and across departments.
- The successful candidate will need to have an understanding and willingness to get into the detail as required.
- Strong excel and reporting skills
What we offer
💰 A competitive salary, bonus, pension and share incentive plan
✈️ Take what you need holiday
🏡 Flexible working
⚓ Anchor (our wellness hub) which includes Headspace, one to one coaching through Sanctus, Parent Cloud, Digital GP, Shout & more
👪 Enhanced family leave policies
❤️ Life insurance, critical illness cover and income protection
🏥 Private medical insurance for you and your family
🚗 Electric vehicle leasing
🌍 The option to work overseas up to a month per year
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold.
We’re committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee experience for all. We promote equal opportunities for growth and development regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or socio-economic background. We believe strongly that teams are at their best when every member of the team feels safe to bring their whole self to work.