At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 800 people and manage more than £8.3 billion on behalf of over 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Wealth and Octopus Renewables. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions
About the Role
This role sits within the Funds Finance Centre of Expertise which is a 40-strong team, responsible for the provision of finance services for funds managed by Octopus. These include Octopus Inheritance Tax Services (“OITS”), Enterprise Investment Schemes (“EIS”) and Venture Capital Trusts (“VCT”), as well as Institutional and Listed Funds.
This exciting opportunity has arisen within the OITS portfolio for a talented Financial Accountant to join our fast-paced team and take on responsibility for the financial management and reporting of a group and an LLP. The role sits alongside two qualified accountants and an accounts assistant. The successful candidate will be responsible for the financial management and reporting for the Bracken Group and Terido LLP, which provide loans to property developers and for the development of renewable energy sites, as well as owning and operating solar sites (Bracken). The OITS portfolio has over £2bn AuM across 3 core areas: lending; energy operations; and healthcare operations; as well as entering some new markets including ultra-fast fibre optic broadband and electric vehicles.
Being able to understand and partner with the business is key to our team and through the passage of time, there may be commercial and strategic projects where this role will be expected to support; such projects may include debt raising, restructuring and acquisitions.
This role will be suitable for a self-starter, comfortable working individually on projects or collaboratively within a team, and someone who will be able to demonstrate strong organisational skills to manage multiple projects. They will be expected to work closely with the Portfolio Management team, so the right individual will need to be adaptable, demonstrate strong technical skills and be ready to manage a wide range of stakeholder relationships.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Take full ownership of a group and an LLP within the OITS portfolio, manage the portfolio and respective entities within them.
- Work with the investment managers and other teams both within Octopus and externally, ensuring that Finance play a leading role in the seamless management of the funds.
- Support the investment team on new acquisitions and/or disposals within the relevant portfolios.
- Work collaboratively with other internal teams to ensure a thorough understand of the entities such that the management reporting captures all information relevant to the group and LLP.
- Present performance updates at monthly management meetings against budget and KPIs.
- With support of an Accounts Assistant, manage preparation of consolidated management accounts, MI reporting and VAT returns across the relevant entities.
- Liaise with internal finance teams who prepare some of the management reporting to ensure a thorough understanding and timely delivery of financial information.
- Manage the budget, audit and interim/annual report processes across the relevant entities, ensuring adherence to the annual timetable.
- Manage the strike-off of dormant and/or legacy entities.
- Manage cashflows within the relevant entities, including the preparation of workings for distributions and/or capital reductions.
- Review journals prepared by the Accounts Assistant and provide them with support where necessary.
- Be the key point of contact for any technical queries on these entities.
- Prepare technical papers for internal stakeholders and/or auditors as required.
- Critically review all existing processes. Suggest, and where relevant implement, enhance processes to drive efficiency throughout the team.
- Support the Financial Controller with the transition of management reporting from Excel to a reporting tool.
- Support the implementation of enhanced IT systems and the integration into the wider Finance technology solution for the business.
- Provide prompt and accurate financial information to investment teams on queries.
- Ensure that robust processes are embedded by taking a lead on the delivery of automation of information to reduce the reliance on spreadsheets and manual inputs, for both internal and external data requests.
Prepare any adhoc analysis as required.
- Qualified Accountant (ACA/ACCA or equivalent).
- Financial Services experience desirable but not essential.
- Proven track record of delivering results.
- The successful candidate will need to demonstrate good interpersonal skills and the ability to quickly build relationships within their team and across departments.
- The successful candidate will need to have an understanding and willingness to get into the detail as required.
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strength:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company’s vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for. We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold. We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we’re always learning, adapting and improving We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.