Octopus is a group of businesses investing in the people, ideas and industries that will help change the world. Founded in 2000, we’re now one of the UK’s fastest-growing companies, operating in two sectors – financial services and energy supply. In our financial services business, we’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist investment sectors, including smaller companies, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ more than 750 people and manage more than £10 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 retail and institutional investors. At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people.
We’re a group of entrepreneurially-minded businesses, each built on the belief that people and the planet deserve better. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Wealth, Octopus Giving and Seccl.
Life at Octopus is never dull. We’re an ambitious, people-first business that wants to make the world a better place. Because of this, we value energy, curiosity, resilience, and integrity. We’re different from most other companies you may have worked for. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About the Role
The marketing function at Octopus is a “COE” (“Centre of expertise”). This means that all the brand, marketing and comms activity across our financial services businesses and parent company ultimately sits in one team, and reports to a single Marketing Director. This role is in the Marketing Centre of Expertise, working particularly on the Octopus Investments marketing programme.
Octopus Investments provides a growing number of expert investment solutions that solve a range of niche tax planning scenarios for investors. Our primary audience is the financial adviser community in the UK (approx. 27k of them!) who we rely upon to distribute our products. So it’s B2B2C marketing!
About the role:
We’re looking for a Head of Campaigns (maternity cover) to drive the marketing strategy and implementation for Octopus Investments (OI) whilst leading and motivating a strong team of eight. The perfect person won’t be afraid of rolling their sleeves up and being hands on. They will be used to maternity contracts so can hit the ground running to ensure our marketing team adds the most possible value to the bottom line of our business and our customers.
This role is a co-head with the Head of Content for OI.
Core responsibilities will include:
MARKETING STRATEGY & PLANNING
- Working with the Head of Content, develop the annual marketing strategy and plan for OI, ensuring all the business line strategies align cohesively.
- Own the translation of the annual strategy and associated business line strategies into a plan and lead the team to ensure they are delivered to deadlines and on budget.
- Own the investor and adviser personas and journeys.
- Own the segmentation strategy to ensure our messages out to market are clear and simple.
- Work with the content team to set the messaging and positioning for OI and the product lines.
- Own the high-level digital and traditional channel co-ordination across all the plans including paid media, print, email, SEO etc.
- Own the lead strategy to maximise the efficiency of our sales team in conversion to sale.
- Be hands on with helping deliver the OI plan and associated business line plans, reporting back results against objectives.
- Own the annual budget, reporting in detail on a quarterly basis and ensuring we’re spending it in the areas which will deliver the biggest results.
LEADERSHIP & COMMUNICATION
- Lead a team of eight and foster a culture of high performance, collaboration, enjoyment and progression.
- Working with the Head of Content, be the key link between the OI leadership team and marketing, regularly translating changes in business strategy into changes to the marketing strategy and priorities.
- Drive alignment at all times between marketing, product, sales and other marketing sub teams e.g. content, digital, design, UX and PR.
- Identify new ways of working which will enable the team to be more progressive (e.g. new martech, ideas from previous roles etc).
- Own the hiring and career progression for the team so we attract and retain a world-class, inclusive team.
The Head of Content will bring the business and product knowledge but we need someone who is a brilliant all round marketer, with a strong digital focus.
- Excellent leadership skills and a team motivator
- Experience with marketing automation tools e.g Marketo.
- Project and campaign management skills.
- Ability to analyse data and translate it into insights and actions.
- Ability to lead laterally to deliver through others.
- Experience in the financial services sector and an understanding of a regulated environment.
And to really stand out from the crowd, you will display the following qualities and characteristics:
- Can translate complex business problems into actionable marketing strategies.
- Can influence and persuade at all levels.
- Champions the team to be more progressive.
- Encourages a culture of test and learn.
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strength:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company’s vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for. We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold. We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we’re always learning, adapting and improving We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee experience for all. We are committed to promoting equal opportunities for growth and development regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or socio-economic background.
We believe strongly that teams are at their best wherever member of the team feels safe to bring their whole self to work.