At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 800 people and manage more than £8.5 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About the Role
The Institutional Funds team works with the three private market investment teams across the Octopus Group, which include venture capital, real estate and renewable energy investments. We fundraise from institutional investors and manage these relationships on an ongoing basis. Octopus manages over £2bn of investments for our institutional investors across several funds which include LP-GP structures, separate managed accounts, co-investment funds and an evergreen vehicle. Our investors include leading financial institutions, pension funds, insurance companies, sovereign wealth funds and family offices.
During fundraises we work with the investment teams to project manage the overall fundraise, develop the distribution strategy and marketing collateral, advise on fund terms, structure, legal documentation and governance, lead investor negotiations, and coordinate due diligence, among other responsibilities. Currently the focus is on the fundraising process but we are building out the team to support the investment teams managing the ongoing relationship with investors, which includes providing investors updates in the form of investor reports and meetings; shaping messaging on fund performance and helping plan for future funds. The team liaises with external resources such as lawyers, tax advisors and placement agents.
The team is currently seven people but growing quickly and the responsibilities fall into broadly five categories:
- Distribution and investor relationship management
- Project management of fundraises
- Administration and investor services
- Marketing and communications
- Terms, legal and structuring
Essential Job Functions
We are looking for a Senior Project Management resource who can take a lead role on the management of fundraises across various investment strategies. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Comprehensive understanding of and experience in working with complex private funds vehicles and LP-GP structures, such as Separate Managed Accounts, closed-end funds, open ended funds and Yield-Cos, evergreen structures, permanent capital vehicles. Experience working on direct acquisitions a plus.
- Leading on project management of the fundraise and launch, including developing the market messaging and strategy, detailed project plans and critical path timeline for underlying asset class. Be a “first pair of eyes” on the fundraise.
- Act as a key liaison with senior business line counterparts, working across functions with investment professionals to deliver effective fundraising results.
- Experience in working across several complex workstreams concurrently, and managing the execution and delivery of critical path milestones to successful fundraising.
- Enabling effective diligence processes and LP management through fund close. Help build the function by creating processes and standardizing diligence documentation and procedures. Review and upkeep these processes and procedures on an on-going basis.
- Liaise with external providers of professional services, notably lawyers and placement agents. Work with cross-jurisdiction counsel to ensure the firm is compliant with regulatory and legal requirements across marketing territories.
- Lead in the project management of fundraises. Work in conjunction with the investment teams and legal advisors to:
- Compile fund documentation, notably Private Placement Memorandums, Due Diligence Questionnaires and provide inputs to pitchbooks, teasers and other fund marketing documents
- Input on commercial and legal terms in the Limited Partnership Agreements, Investment Management Agreements and Subscription documents.
- Organise and manage the data room and due diligence process, with assistance from business line resources
- Liaise with IR and investment resources across business lines to develop strong content and deliverables
- Lead on campaign management – owner of the roadshow calendar, investor lists and liaison between placement agents and business teams
- Work in conjunction with Octopus’ Compliance and legal advisors to:
- Be the central source of institutional regulated marketing advice
- Manage the regulatory aspects of new fundraises and current structures, notably AIFMD
- Supervise and mentor more junior members of the team as required
- MBA/Masters preferred. Undergraduate degree
- Extensive work experience of which some of this is in institutional fundraising within the private markets / alternatives space (Real Estate, Infrastructure, Private Equity and/or Private Credit), ideally from a private funds group, the private funds practice of a legal firm, a placement agent or an Investment Bank.
- Track record and evidence in career progression on leading successful fundraising and execution of deals
- Experience in leading a team of junior resources in the project management function
- Interest in being part of an entrepreneurial and fast paced work environment with several ongoing initiatives on fundraising across multiple asset classes
- Strong command of written English
- Strong coordination and project management skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and manage stakeholders
- Responds quickly to changing work demands
- Is proactive, a self-starter, and can manage own time effectively
- Strong attention to detail
- Interest in alternative assets
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.