Octopus is a group of businesses investing in the people, ideas and industries that will help change the world. Founded in 2000, we’re now one of the UK’s fastest-growing companies, operating in two sectors – financial services and energy supply. In our financial services business, we’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist investment sectors, including smaller companies, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ more than 750 people and manage more than £8.3 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 retail and institutional investors. At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people.
We’re a group of entrepreneurially-minded businesses, each built on the belief that people and the planet deserve better. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Wealth, Octopus Giving and Seccl.
Life at Octopus is never dull. We’re an ambitious, people-first business that wants to make the world a better place. Because of this, we value energy, curiosity, resilience, and integrity. We’re different from most other companies you may have worked for. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About the Role
The Business Growth Manager (BGM) must be a highly motivated, articulate, passionate and focused individual, who will be seen as a pivotal sales team member that delivers great new opportunities to a fast paced sales team. The team has expanded rapidly over the years and the aim is to feed and assist that growth through uncovering, nurturing and ultimately handing over exciting new opportunities to work with advisory firms that are currently unfamiliar with the Octopus proposition. The role is based in Octopus’s Head Office in London and will be a combination of webinar, telephone and email driven communication with potential new supporters.
The BG team plays an important role in Octopus Investments’ distribution. This team will influence a variety of potential key accounts– primarily large regional financial advice firms and other intermediaries that Octopus has little or no relationship with. Their primary focus will be on researching, building and cultivating new relationships, constantly seeking out and developing new partnership opportunities across Octopus’s suite of tax efficient investment solutions. The team will make a real difference in accelerating the growth of significant new supporters
The BGM role is focused solely on creating new distribution opportunities for Octopus and all variable remuneration will be based on the delivery of new opportunities and inflows from firms that haven’t previously worked with Octopus. The BGM will get exposure to wider parts of the business in establishing deep strategic alliances with firms.
The BG team will:
- Work with the sales management team to build and deliver a growth strategy that will deliver high volumes of new profitable relationships to the Octopus Sales Team, both within and outside of our existing markets
- Represent Octopus with potential new distribution partners to drive profitable new growth opportunities for Octopus
- Research, identify, contact and build new relationships with prospective partners, building networks within larger firms to influence all stakeholders and multiple offices
- Build a structured plan to develop new supporters, with a view to working in partnership with the Regional BDM/SP team until the account can be safely handed over to allow more focus on other new prospects
- Work closely with the Sales Management, Strategic Partnerships and Regional BDM teams
- Have a strong focus on commercial outcomes from all activity and ability to measure ROI
- Be able to negotiate and arrange marketing packages within a defined budget and introduce KPIs to measure effectiveness with targeted new firms
- Work with prospective new accounts to identify new opportunities for Octopus and, where relevant, identify opportunities for other Octopus Group Companies
- Apply both traditional and creative techniques to develop new relationships with potential key partners and come up with innovative solutions to sales challenges
- Deliver and follow up regular group presentations to audiences of intermediaries that don’t have a relationship with Octopus – typically financial advisers but also solicitors and accountants. Talk confidently about Octopus solutions, how they can drive growth in the intermediaries’ businesses
- Communicate and contract with Octopus Sales & Marketing Teams to highlight opportunities, influence campaigns, using MI to qualify leads
- Create a presence with prospective new audiences through the creation and delivery of a variety of media, such as seminars, webinars and online shows, channels; sit on external panel discussions; work with the Octopus PR team to capitalise on their campaigns
- Build a social media presence to engage with wider audiences via different channels
- Come up with new ideas for presentation and webinar content, compiling slide decks with the help of Marketing to deliver to small and large groups of prospective new supporters at seminars, webinars, conferences and roadshows
- Provide updates to prospective partners on products, coordinate due diligence questionnaires, help answer technical queries
- Keep up to date with wider industry developments especially those that will have an impact on distributors, advice firms and Octopus
- Think outside of the box to identify, make contact with and develop new opportunities from outside of the traditional financial advisory market
- Look for affinity partners eg product providers, platforms etc to help introduce us to a new audience of advisers
The Internal Business Growth Manager will work with an External Business Growth Manager and, in partnership, will progress potential leads from identification stage, all the way through to the point at which the opportunity can be passed to the Regional Business Development or Strategic Partnerships teams, having built a track record of transacting Octopus business. The specific actions that the IBGM will drive will include, but not be limited to:
- Desk based research on potential targets
- Devising and delivering contact strategies for potential targets
- Co-presenting at seminars/webinars/F2F meetings
- Following up warm leads from seminars/webinars
- Involvement in case based discussions/creation of new pipeline cases with previously non-supporting firms that express an interest in the Octopus proposition
- Helping new (to Octopus) advisers recommend and write their initial cases
- Helping new (to Octopus) advisers understand where additional activities sit within their client banks and working on plans to maximise this opportunity
- Reporting progress to sales management, BG team and Regional sales teams
- Ensuring smooth handover of advisers from the BG team in to the Regional sales teams
- Review approaches, replicate successes and find creative solutions to barriers
- It’s important for this person to have an up to date knowledge of the financial services landscape along with an understanding of distributor structures (e.g. nationals, networks, compliance service providers) including advisory sales processes
- Ideally has knowledge of the tax efficient investment space (Business Relief Solutions, VCTs, EIS)
- Proven results of ability to attract and cement new business relationships
- Proven track record of influencing advisers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to comprehend a complex suite of solutions and translate these into simple and commercially attractive concepts for advisers
- Excellent telephone skills
- High quality interpersonal skills with honesty and integrity
- Able to build rapport and establish credibility with advisers
- Flexible work ethic
- An appetite for continuous personal and professional development, broadening qualifications and learning where appropriate
- Enjoy being part of a small and focussed team and sharing in the challenges and successes of driving new opportunities
- Be positive, creative and bold
- Be organised and able to help create, deliver and measure clear plans and strategies
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.