Established in 2000, Octopus is a group of businesses investing in people, ideas and industries that change the world. You can learn more about us at octopusgroup.com.
At Octopus Investments, we're experts in financial services and we’re also a certified B Corp, meaning we care as much about the impact of our investments as the returns they generate. Today we manage more than £12.4* billion on behalf of retail and institutional investors.
*Funds Under Management data includes undrawn commitments, funds under advisory mandates, funds monitored and the Octopus Cash service as of 31st December 2021
About the Role
At Octopus Ventures we're looking for an Investment Administrator to join our team. This is a challenging and exciting opportunity to help pioneers change the world as Octopus Ventures looks to scale its business.
An excellent, collegiate, and effective operations team is crucial to enabling Octopus Ventures to meet its objectives in the European and global VC community as one team. You will join our existing operations team to help ensure the investment processes, governance, and related obligations are executed seamlessly as we continue to grow our business, and increase the capacity and efficiency of our investment capability.
The role’s primary focus is to provide administrative support for our investment processes. Key responsibilities include:
- Understanding the steps of the investment processes well and helping ensure the Ops and investment team adhere to them.
- Drafting, reviewing, and distributing key communications for the team, Investment Committee, investors, and other key external stakeholders.
- Undertaking and overseeing the recording of our investments or divestments in our various systems (including in accordance with relevant FCA regulation), such as investment, asset & valuation data, and investor information, and ensuring the movement of related funds runs smoothly.
- Liaising with the investment leads and legal counsel throughout, using your knowledge of our processes and risk tolerances to manage workload and prioritise requests as part of a team.
- Administration of relevant client or regulatory reporting following completion of an investment or divestment, including VCT or EIS fund-related matters.
- Liaising with core teams across Octopus and suppliers externally to keep things running smoothly and information flowing between us seamlessly at all times.
What you’ll need to be successful:
- An understanding of venture capital/private equity or equity investments generally, although you don’t need to have worked exactly in our part of the industry before - we welcome transferable skill sets and recognise that diverse working backgrounds make us stronger overall.
- Superb administration and organisation skills, and an excellent sense of how to prioritise and manage your own workload.
- The ability to get your head around complex processes and stick to them.
- Be as comfortable working with databases and numbers as with communicating well both verbally and in writing.
- Proactivity. Being able to spot issues before they happen or volunteering to solve them when they do is vital.
- Great attention to detail, and an ability to keep this up whether it’s the first or twentieth time you’re doing something.
- A passion for putting the customer at the heart of what you do, whether that customer is internal or external.
- A desire to be part of a tight and ambitious team with shared values, where you will both work with others of all seniorities and be expected to own delivery of your own workload.
- The courage to challenge the status quo.
And to really stand out from crowd:
- Be freethinking and proactive in suggesting changes to ensure processes remain efficient, scalable and have minimal time wastage.
- Be comfortable in working in a flexible, dynamic, fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment where priorities are regularly changing.
- Have an interest in learning more about the companies we invest in, the industry and applying this knowledge to the role as you learn more
💰 A competitive salary, bonus, pension and share incentive plan
✈️ Take what you need holiday
🏡 Flexible working
⚓ Anchor (our wellness hub) which includes Headspace, one to one coaching through Sanctus, Parent Cloud, Digital GP, Shout & more
👪 Enhanced family leave policies
❤️ Life insurance, critical illness cover and income protection
🏥 Private medical insurance for you and your family
🚗 Electric vehicle leasing
🌍 The option to work overseas up to a month per year
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold.
We’re committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee experience for all. We promote equal opportunities for growth and development regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or socio-economic background. We believe strongly that teams are at their best when every member of the team feels safe to bring their whole self to work.