Octopus is a group of businesses investing in the people, ideas and industries that will help change the world. Founded in 2000, we’re now one of the UK’s fastest-growing companies, operating in two sectors – financial services and energy supply. In our financial services business, we’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist investment sectors, including smaller companies, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ more than 750 people and manage more than £8.3 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 retail and institutional investors. At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people.
We’re a group of entrepreneurially-minded businesses, each built on the belief that people and the planet deserve better. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Wealth, Octopus Giving and Seccl.
Life at Octopus is never dull. We’re an ambitious, people-first business that wants to make the world a better place. Because of this, we value energy, curiosity, resilience, and integrity. We’re different from most other companies you may have worked for. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About the Role
The recoveries and non-performing loan team was formed earlier in the year following a restructure of the wider Customer functions. The main reason for this was to simplify our processes and help ORE build a reputation for delivering an outstanding customer service. We are now looking for a recoveries professional to join the non-performing loan team. The successful candidate will enhance our customer journey by providing support for our loans once they become due and repayable.
We support both internal and external stakeholders, working closely with Credit and Sales and perform a wide variety of functions to support non-performing Borrowers, this includes tasks across account management, case support and case reporting, customer data management, legal proceedings and working with selected insolvency practitioners.
This is an ideal opportunity for someone who wants to build on their career within Real Estate and in particular non-performing real estate assets and we have had previous examples of people moving from this team into a wide variety of roles within ORE including sales, credit, commercial operations management and junior portfolio management.
- Work with the Customer Team as a loan approaches maturity and ensure data remains accurate and reported correctly
- Identify the need to and then instruct solicitors, receivers, administrators and other third parties
- Monitor existing non-performing loans, including payment performance, arrears management and recommending strategies for recoveries
- Undertake all data processing and inputting of updates and data into systems to ensure non-performing loans monitored accurately
- Providing wider business support on projects including compiling data for both internal and external audits
- Administrative and operational support across all non-performing work streams
- Provide a high level of customer service when answering telephone calls and responding to emails
- Deliver a best in class customer experience for live loan holders
- Pro-actively communicate the customer team during the life of a loan
- Produce forecasts of redemption activity and liaise with the finance department accordingly
- Work with credit and other third parties to agree part releases of security and extensions to client’s loans if possible
- Experience of working with insolvency practitioners and by extension, receivers and administrators etc.
- An understanding of legal processes and requirements regarding non-performing loans
- Experience of working with detailed loan documentation as well as standard terms and conditions
- Excellent attention to detail and communication skills
- High levels of proactivity
- Be able to demonstrate a track record of exceeding customer expectations
- Be able to collaborate with peers
- Highly organized and in particular able to monitor and present loan data and performance KPIs internally to stakeholders
- Demonstrable experience of taking ownership of resolving issues
- A desire to continually improve our processes by suggesting improvements
- Used to working within a fast-paced environment with an ability to prioritise asks from a high workflow
- Strong and flexible work ethic
- Exceptional interpersonal skills for this outgoing team
Experience in non-performing Real Estate loans is preferred but work within other non-performing loan environments will be considered. Previous experience in an operational or customer role would be an advantage. We are looking for someone who is not afraid to not only challenge the status quo but also to propose and implement changes to our processes.
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.