Senior Legal Counsel, Octopus Real Estate
At Octopus, we’re entrepreneurs and we’re investors, on a mission to back the people, ideas and industries that will change the world.
We think working here is great, but we’re understandably biased. Click here to explore Life at Octopus.
About the Role
What’s in it for you?
A new opportunity exists for a qualified Real Estate Funds/Finance lawyer to join Octopus Real Estate in London directly supporting our investment teams. This role offers a unique opportunity to help the continued growth of the business. It offers breadth and variety - you’ll be involved in multiple projects solving complex problems in a fast-paced environment.
Octopus Real Estate is a specialist real estate investor and lender with a team of 80 and over £3.5 billion under management for institutional and retail investors. We develop and fund modern, best-in-class health, social care and living assets and back growing operators. Our lending teams provide specialist, flexible finance across the residential, commercial and development sectors.
What will you be doing?
- Managing the legal side of our larger and more complex investment and lending transactions, including new fund formation, establishing JVs, single asset and portfolio acquisitions, real estate loan documentation and workouts.
- Working with our investment teams, external counsel, and in house counsel from our investors and partners to deliver smooth and effective deal execution and governance.
- Giving pragmatic and commercial advice to our investment teams and management committee. Staying abreast of relevant regulations, and identifying and mitigating legal risk associated with Octopus Real Estate’s business.
- Dealing with some day-to-day queries regarding legal and regulatory issues, existing portfolio companies/structures and commercial contracts.
- Co-ordinating with the wider Octopus Group teams, including Group Legal & CoSec, Risk & Compliance, and Fund Finance.
Ideally, you’ll have:
✅ Fully qualified UK lawyer, experience in a real estate funds or real estate finance practice, or in house with a real estate fund manager, lender or investor.
✅ Strong transactional experience across a wide variety of deal and financing structures - funds, lending, JVs, propco/opco, asset-level.
✅ Comfortable operating in a fast-paced environment and exploring new areas/ways of working, with exposure to senior stakeholders.
✅ High attention to detail and ability to work independently. A problem solver.
✅ Excellent at prioritisation and working proactively – happy to multi-task and manage a variety of transactions at any given time.
We encourage you to apply even if you don’t tick every box. What’s the worst that can happen?
This role will evolve as we grow and develop. So, if you are looking for a challenge in a fast paced and dynamic business, we can deliver on that.
What we offer
💰 A competitive salary, bonus, pension and share incentive plan
✈️ Untracked holiday
🏡Hybrid working – most of our people spend 3 days a week in the office
⚓ Anchor (our wellness hub) which includes Headspace, one to one coaching through Wellness Cloud, Digital GP, Shout & more
👪 Up to 6 months paid parental leave regardless of gender
❤️ Life insurance, critical illness cover and income protection
🏥 Private medical insurance for you and your family
🚗 Electric vehicle leasing
🌍 The option to work overseas up to a month per year
At our core, we believe that how a company behaves is just as important as what it does. That’s why we chose to become an accredited B Corp (the equivalent of a Fairtrade coffee stamp but for companies) and to change our Articles of Association so that the interests all our stakeholders – employees, customers, communities, environment and shareholders – are considered in every decision we make.
We’re committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee experience for all. We promote equal opportunities for growth and development regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or socio-economic background. We believe strongly that teams are at their best when every member of the team feels safe to bring their whole self to work.