Octopus is a group of businesses investing in the people, ideas and industries that will help change the world. Founded in 2000, we’re now one of the UK’s fastest-growing companies, operating in two sectors – financial services and energy supply. In our financial services business, we’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist investment sectors, including smaller companies, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ more than 750 people and manage more than £10 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 retail and institutional investors. At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people.
We’re a group of entrepreneurially-minded businesses, each built on the belief that people and the planet deserve better. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Wealth, Octopus Giving and Seccl.
Life at Octopus is never dull. We’re an ambitious, people-first business that wants to make the world a better place. Because of this, we value energy, curiosity, resilience, and integrity. We’re different from most other companies you may have worked for. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About the Role
The marketing function at Octopus is a “COE” (“Centre of expertise”). This means that all the brand, marketing and comms activity across our financial services businesses and parent company ultimately sits in one team, and reports to a single Marketing Director. This role is in the Marketing Centre of Expertise, working particularly on the Octopus Investments marketing programme.
Octopus Investments provides a growing number of expert investment solutions that solve a range of niche tax planning scenarios for investors. Our primary audience is the financial adviser community in the UK (approx. 27k of them!) who we rely upon to distribute our products. So it’s B2B2C marketing!
We’re looking for a superstar Marketing Manager, who is data driven and a brilliant content creator. This role will report into our talented Senior Marketing Manager who looks after the Venture Capital Trusts (VCT) and Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) marketing strategy.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Lead on the sales enablement strategy and product marketing materials, covering content and automation. Ensure content aligns to a key point in the customer buying journey and we’re helping Sales continually improve conversion rates.
- Write engaging channel appropriate content which makes complex business situations simple, working with the group content team where appropriate.
- Maximise the value of every piece of content through collaborating with the training excellence team / using new ways to educate sales teams.
- Own the management of VCT and EIS content on our sales enablement platform (Seismic) and across the website.
- Continually evolve and optimise our content using data and insight, as well as feedback from the sales team.
CAMPAIGN AND PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- Lead on the planning and execution of marketing campaigns / projects, aligned to the business line marketing strategy.
- Set clear activity (always on) or campaign (time bound) objectives.
- Develop clear and compelling messaging that’s consistent across all channels.
- Write and produce exciting campaign and promotional content to deliver key messages and drive adviser engagement and sales leads.
- Own the promotional channel mix and customer journey strategy with on and offline touchpoints, writing the copy to help internal teams execute.
- Forecast, measure, analyse and report at every stage. Balance quantitative and qualitative detailed reporting e.g. cost-per-click, cost-per-lead) with higher level metrics e.g. ROI to optimise.
- Work across internal teams (sales, marketing, operations, product, UX & digital, insights etc.) and agencies to co-ordinate and deliver campaigns, on time and on budget.
PRODUCT, CUSTOMER AND INTERNAL KNOWLEDGE
- Gain brilliant product, customer and market knowledge.
- Become an expert in financial promotions and ensure all our activity is financially compliant.
- Be a gatekeeper of quality – make best-in-market content whilst demonstrating attention to detail. We’re known in the industry for our high-quality marketing and want to keep this reputation.
Ideally, you’ll have some or all of the following qualifications, skills and job-related experience
- Excellent project and campaign management skills.
- Excellent writer and storyteller (making sure Google can also find it).
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Experience in a content management or copywriting role.
- Can analyse data and translate it into insights and actions.
- Ability to collaborate and lead laterally to deliver through others.
- You have experience with making the most of the channel mix to achieve business objectives (especially website, SEO, LinkedIn, email) and have experience optimising to enhance performance.
- You having experience getting the most of marketing tech and have worked with Google Analytics (or similar), CRM and marketing automation platform.
And to really stand out from the crowd, you will display the following qualities and characteristics:
- Always looking for new ways of doing things.
- Brilliant at engaging and influencing stakeholders at all levels.
- Thinks about the medium term future (i.e next trimester) and can prioritise / juggle many plates at once.
- Builds cross functional relationships to better understand internal processes e.g CRM.
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strength:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company’s vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for. We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold. We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we’re always learning, adapting and improving We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee experience for all. We are committed to promoting equal opportunities for growth and development regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or socio-economic background.
We believe strongly that teams are at their best wherever member of the team feels safe to bring their whole self to work.