Octopus is a group of companies which invests in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world.
We believe that the companies serving two of our most important needs – our financial wellbeing and our planet’s future – are failing. And we want that to change. We want everything we do, whether that’s in financial services or energy supply, to have a positive impact on the people it touches.
In our financial services business, we care as much about the impact our investments have, as we do about the returns that we generate for our investors. We manage more than £9.1 billion* on behalf of retail and institutional investors, specialising in renewable energy, real estate, smaller company and venture capital investing.
Our energy supply business - Octopus Energy, is one of the fastest growing companies in the UK. It has grown from start-up to more than 1.7 million customers over the last four years and is now the #1 rated UK energy supply business, and the only one to be recommended by Which? three years in a row.
Octopus Energy, Octopus Giving, Octopus Investments, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Moneycoach, Seccl Technology and Octopus Wealth are all part of Octopus Group. Visit www.octopusgroup.com
Octopus Renewables have recently announced some exciting news, to read more about it: https://institutional.octopusgroup.com/insights/octopus-renewables-octopus-energy-combining-expertise/?utm_source=linkedin&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=or_oe_joining_forces&utm_content=chris_blog_or_oe260321)
About the Role
Octopus Renewables sources, invests in, and actively manages a wide range of utility scale energy assets. We are looking to expand our team as we continue to scale our investments base.
Since entering the renewables market in 2010, Octopus Renewables has grown to become the largest investor of solar power in Europe, and a leading investor in onshore wind. We currently manage a global portfolio of over £3bn renewable energy assets. The operational portfolio includes over 300 energy generating companies, delivering revenue more than £250m pa. The operational activities include solar power parks, wind farms and gas fired peaking generators.
Our energy investment and asset management team of c.70 professionals is one of the largest and most experienced in Europe. The team is structured to support our rapid growth ambitions and long-term ownership of energy assets.
About the role
We are looking for an experienced Contracts Manager to work within the Wind Asset Management team, with a focus on management of outsourced service providers (including Asset Managers, O&M providers, EPCs and technical advisers). The Contracts Manager will be responsible for the development, implementation, and improvement of the contractual strategy for our ecosystem of consultants, contractors, and customer stakeholders. This role will lead on the delivery of contracted services, and resolution of escalated commercial and contractual issues.
Reporting to, and working closely with, the Wind Asset Director they will be accountable for the delivery of services within the contract frameworks which cover the lifecycle of the asset base from development, through to construction and operation of the wind assets. The Contracts Manager will take pride in improving proactive management of the asset providers through building collaborative and effective relationships with competent third parties. The role will be London based and will require some travel to sites within the UK and Europe.
Outline of responsibilities
- Ownership and development of Octopus Renewables contracting strategy, processes, and standards for contract management across the lifecycle Asset Management.
- Development, oversight, reporting, and management of the Wind contractual risk register.
- Management of the delivery of services within the contract framework covering the lifecycle of the assets. Development of contract management systems and tools to facilitate delivery.
- Work closely with the Investment team to assess new contractual arrangements being considered for acquisition, including reviewing contract structure, draft contracts, schedules, heads of terms and SLAs. And developing and structuring procurement process and strategy.
- Articulate and embed a culture of effective and collaborative counterparty management throughout the in-house asset management team and those contractors with responsibility for managing counterparties on our behalf.
- Support Asset Managers to develop their contract management capability and ensure adverse contractual events are minimized and handled effectively.
- Work closely with in-house and outsourced legal, commercial, and technical teams on the counterparty risk programme, escalated incidents, and disputes.
- Advise the Asset Managers on the contractual aspects of commercial/project issues and negotiations and identify where matters need to be escalated.
- Investigate the root causes of any contractual underperformances and/or issues affecting the contracts associated with new assets and advise on resolutions.
- Input to the scoping of new operational contracts to be executed, such as O&M, EPC, or ancillary services.
- Work closely with the commercial team on any due diligence prepared for transactions such as bank financing or sale of the assets and in the preparation and negotiation of the EPC, AM and O&M Contracts.
- Develop modular templates that can be used as standards (e.g., schedules of services).
- Extensive experience of contract management and asset management delivery within the wind industry. Knowledge of different OEM’s would be advantageous.
- Have proven experience in the management of EPC and/or O&M and other contractors for wind projects as well as contract management.
- Expertise in the development and management of contractual frameworks, contract negotiation and drafting.
- Expertise in contracts [such as FIDIC], commercials, relationship management, invoicing and payment authorization.
- It would be beneficial to have a working knowledge of technical, operational, and commercial aspects and documentation related to distributed generation, preferably wind.
- Experience in the diversification of contracts to be utilised for supply chain contracting and undertaking relevant gap analysis to assess, mitigate and manage risks associated with differing levels of risk exposure.
- Experience of dispute & claims management and resolution.
- Experience managing contract escalations (for example step-in/thru, liquidate damages, notice of defect and breach).
- Background in relevant professional qualification or discipline is preferable: commercial project management; quantity surveyor; commercial law, engineering
- Knowledge and understanding of HS&E and CDM
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communicator at all levels, particularly when translating technical information for non-technical teams.
- Flexibility and “can do” attitude.
- Willingness to train and support others.
- Able to critically examine and question information from a variety of sources.
- High commercial and numerical acumen.
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
- We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.