Octopus is a group of companies which invests in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world.
We believe that the companies serving two of our most important needs – our financial wellbeing and our planet’s future – are failing. And we want that to change. We want everything we do, whether that’s in financial services or energy supply, to have a positive impact on the people it touches.
In our financial services business, we care as much about the impact our investments have, as we do about the returns that we generate for our investors. We manage more than £9.1 billion* on behalf of retail and institutional investors, specialising in renewable energy, real estate, smaller company and venture capital investing.
Our energy supply business - Octopus Energy, is one of the fastest growing companies in the UK. It has grown from start-up to more than 1.7 million customers over the last four years and is now the #1 rated UK energy supply business, and the only one to be recommended by Which? three years in a row.
Octopus Energy, Octopus Giving, Octopus Investments, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Moneycoach, Seccl Technology and Octopus Wealth are all part of Octopus Group. Visit www.octopusgroup.com
Octopus Renewables have recently announced some exciting news, to read more about it: https://institutional.octopusgroup.com/insights/octopus-renewables-octopus-energy-combining-expertise/?utm_source=linkedin&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=or_oe_joining_forces&utm_content=chris_blog_or_oe260321)
About the Role
Octopus Renewables (OR) sources, invests in and actively manages a range of utility scale renewable energy assets. We are looking to expand our team as we continue to scale our investments base of c£3.5bn.
Since entering the renewables market in 2010, Octopus Renewables has grown to become the largest investor of solar power in Europe, as well as growing to become a leading investor in onshore wind. We currently manage a global portfolio of renewable energy assets valued at roughly than £3.5 billion. The operational portfolio includes over 250 energy generating companies, delivering revenue in excess of £250m pa.
Having originated, invested and managed assets in the renewable energy sector for over a decade, our energy investment and asset management team of c.70 professionals is one of the largest and most experienced in Europe. The team is structured for scale and long-term ownership of energy assets.
About the role
Octopus Renewables Development Team is a part of the Investment Team and focuses on investing in early-stage renewable opportunities mainly in the UK and Europe.
The Analyst / Associate / Senior Associate (we have some flexibility over the level that someone might join us) will be a key member of the OR Development Team. The successful candidate will work on all markets (OECD countries) and technologies (solar PV, roof-top solar, onshore and offshore wind, storage, etc) where OR is active or interested to enter.
We are looking for a pro-active team member who has a strong sense of ownership, and “can do it” attitude, and who is able to work both individually, as part of a team and can represent OR outside of the business.
An ideal candidate will have experience in negotiating and structuring of partnerships, co-development agreements, joint ventures, framework agreements, and previous work experience in venture capital, private equity, Energy EPC / Supply Chain, module or turbine manufacturing, renewable development, utilities, or advisory, is a plus.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assessment of a large number of development teams and pipelines, selecting those with the best fit for OR’ culture and objectives and appetite for risk.
- Transaction execution: assisting in finding partnership structures for each specific deal, drafting offers, selecting and coordinating advisors, conducting pro-active due diligence, challenging the conclusions and managing/ supporting the governance and investment cases for these deals to the Investment Committee.
- Last mile development: identifying opportunities for project optimisation, assisting developers in getting projects to ready-to-build status/ preparing them for acquisitions including support with construction contracts tendering and contracting and managing key project delivery risks to resolution.
- Portfolio management: supervising the development process and assisting the development teams that OR has already invested in.
- Create business plans for various types of businesses, develop and run project models in various markets.
- Assist in origination activities including market research, the assessment of regulatory frameworks, organising meetings and reaching out to potential partners.
- Management of internal stakeholders to achieve ‘buy in’ to new opportunities.
- Knowledge and understanding of the project development process including, planning, grid connection and route to market in one or more countries. Experience in permitting renewable energy projects is a strong plus.
- Experience in negotiating and structuring of partnerships, co-development agreements, joint ventures, framework agreements, etc. Previous work experience in venture capital, private equity, Energy EPC / Supply Chain, module or turbine manufacturing, renewable development, utilities, or advisory, is a plus.
- Knowledge of power market designs and regulatory frameworks in/ or the UK and Europe.
- Experience in negotiating EPC, TSA and procuring construction contracts is a plus but not mandatory.
- Strong financial modelling skills of renewable projects and business plans, particularly from the perspective of an equity investor.
- Excellent written and spoken English required, fluent French / German / Spanish language is a plus but not mandatory.
- Exceptional project management and organisational skills. Evidence of managing complex workloads in a fast-paced environment.
- A self-starter with tenacity, initiative, entrepreneurial attitude and a willingness to take ownership of deals.
- A strong team player with the confidence to exercise judgement appropriately, challenge and coordinate with colleagues at all levels of seniority.
- Strong commercial mindset, able to structure proprietary deals.
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
- We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.