Established in 2000, Octopus is a group of businesses investing in people, ideas and industries that change the world. You can learn more about us at octopusgroup.com.
At Octopus Investments, we're experts in financial services and we’re also a certified B Corp, meaning we care as much about the impact of our investments as the returns they generate. Today we manage more than £12.4* billion on behalf of retail and institutional investors.
*Funds Under Management data includes undrawn commitments, funds under advisory mandates, funds monitored and the Octopus Cash service as of 31st December 2021
About the Role
About Octopus Ventures
Octopus Ventures is one of the largest VCs in Europe. We invest in the pioneers who will create the next $1 billion companies in consumer, health, fintech and deep tech. We know that being bold and generous with our time, our network and our knowledge works for everyone. We draw on the diversity of our experience to help the companies we back get better, faster, whether that involves building teams, developing their CEOs or scaling internationally.
Octopus Ventures have backed the founding teams of nearly 100 companies including BoughtByMany, Zoopla, Secret Escapes, Elvie, Depop, WaveOptics and Cazoo. Some of our portfolio companies have gone on to join forces with the world’s largest businesses including Google, Amazon, Microsoft and Snap Inc
Octopus Ventures is looking for an Operations Administrator to join the existing team to help ensure the widespread operations and obligations of the team are executed seamlessly and efficiently as we continue to grow our business.
Key responsibilities include:
- Providing administrative support for our investment process with our existing operations team as we look to invest into pioneering UK and European companies. This will include updating our process management system, and drafting key communications for the team, Investment Committee and other stakeholders
- Entering and maintaining crucial data in our various systems (including in accordance with relevant FCA regulation), such as investment, asset & valuation data and investor information
- Providing support for and contributing to the production of regular reports required by our various customers, internal and external
- Supporting the necessary anti-money laundering and ‘know-your-customer’ checks needed on our customers, both during onboarding and as part of ongoing monitoring
- Working with colleagues to support the delivery of projects crucial to our future success, whether that’s introducing new FCA regulation or a different system to make us more efficient
- Liaising with teams across Octopus and suppliers externally to keep things running smoothly and information flowing between us seamlessly all the time
You’ll love this role if:
- You get excited about the idea of being involved in the nitty gritty of the business and being one of the go-to people in a team
- You love to catch the things which could have been missed by others
- You’re an excellent communicator and aren’t afraid to ask the stupid question or raise your own ideas for how we could do things differently or better (we’re all ears!)
- Being involved in a wide range of things excites you, and being pulled into something you weren’t expecting doesn’t phase you
- You appreciate the value of impeccable administration, and take pride in its part in the team being able to achieve its goals
- A basic understanding of venture capital/private equity or equity investments generally, although you don’t need to have worked exactly in our part of the industry before - we welcome transferable skill sets and recognise that diverse working backgrounds make us stronger overall
- Superb administration skills, good knowledge of the usual Microsoft Office tools, and a comfort working with databases and numbers
- Proactivity. Being able to spot issues before they happen or volunteer to solve them when they do is vital
- Great attention to detail, and an ability to keep this up whether it’s the first or twentieth time you’re doing something
- A passion for putting the customer at the heart of what you do, whether that customer is internal or external
- The ability to get your head around complex processes and stick to them
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- A desire to be part of a tight and ambitious team with shared values – to be one team, be bold, be straightforward, be helpful
- The courage to challenge the status quo
What we offer
💰 A competitive salary, bonus, pension and share incentive plan
✈️ Take what you need holiday
🏡 Flexible working
⚓ Anchor (our wellness hub) which includes Headspace, one to one coaching through Sanctus, Parent Cloud, Digital GP, Shout & more
👪 Enhanced family leave policies
❤️ Life insurance, critical illness cover and income protection
🏥 Private medical insurance for you and your family
🚗 Electric vehicle leasing
🌍 The option to work overseas up to a month per year
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold.
We’re committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee experience for all. We promote equal opportunities for growth and development regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or socio-economic background. We believe strongly that teams are at their best when every member of the team feels safe to bring their whole self to work.