At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 800 people and manage more than £8.5 billion on behalf of over 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Wealth and Octopus Renewables. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions
About the Role
About Octopus Ventures
We invest in the pioneers who will create the next $1 billion companies in health, money and deep tech. We know that being bold and generous with our time, our network and our knowledge works for everyone. We draw on the diversity of our experience to help the companies we back get better, faster, whether that involves building teams, developing their CEOs or scaling internationally.
We aim to be helpful and straightforward, committed to shaping an ecosystem where the brightest entrepreneurs can make a meaningful contribution to society. We know that companies that embrace diversity, including our own, perform better, which is why we’ve joined others and signed up to #movingforward.
Octopus Ventures is looking for an Operations Administrator to join the existing team to help ensure the widespread operations and obligations of the team are executed seamlessly and efficiently as we continue to grow our business.
Key responsibilities include:
- Providing administrative support for our investment process with our existing operations team as we look to invest into pioneering UK and European companies. This will include updating our process management system, and drafting key communications for the team, Investment Committee and other stakeholders
- Entering and maintaining crucial data in our various systems (including in accordance with relevant FCA regulation), such as investment, asset & valuation data and investor information
- Providing support for and contributing to the production of regular reports required by our various customers, internal and external
- Supporting the necessary anti-money laundering and ‘know-your-customer’ checks needed on our customers, both during onboarding and as part of ongoing monitoring
- Working with colleagues to support the delivery of projects crucial to our future success, whether that’s introducing new FCA regulation or a different system to make us more efficient
- Liaising with teams across Octopus and suppliers externally to keep things running smoothly and information flowing between us seamlessly all the time
You’ll love this role if:
- You get excited about the idea of being involved in the nitty gritty of the business and being one of the go-to people in a team
- You love to catch the things which could have been missed by others
- You’re an excellent communicator and aren’t afraid to ask the stupid question or raise your own ideas for how we could do things differently or better (we’re all ears!)
- Being involved in a wide range of things excites you, and being pulled into something you weren’t expecting doesn’t phase you
- You appreciate the value of impeccable administration, and take pride in its part in the team being able to achieve its goals
- A basic understanding of venture capital/private equity or equity investments generally, although you don’t need to have worked exactly in our part of the industry before - we welcome transferable skill sets and recognise that diverse working backgrounds make us stronger overall
- Superb administration skills, good knowledge of the usual Microsoft Office tools, and a comfort working with databases and numbers
- Proactivity. Being able to spot issues before they happen or volunteer to solve them when they do is vital
- Great attention to detail, and an ability to keep this up whether it’s the first or twentieth time you’re doing something
- A passion for putting the customer at the heart of what you do, whether that customer is internal or external
- The ability to get your head around complex processes and stick to them
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- A desire to be part of a tight and ambitious team with shared values – to be one team, be bold, be straightforward, be helpful
- The courage to challenge the status quo
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strength:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company’s vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for. We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold. We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we’re always learning, adapting and improving We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.