At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 800 people and manage more than £9.1 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About Octopus Ventures
Octopus Ventures, part of Octopus Group, is one of the largest VCs in Europe. We invest in the people, the ideas and the industries that will help change the world. Our investment team is built to specialise in the five areas where we see the most potential for growth and innovation: health, fintech, deep tech, consumer and B2B software. Since 2008 we have backed over 130 teams, some of whom have gone on to join forces with the world’s largest businesses including Google, Amazon, Microsoft and Twitter.
With £1.7 billion under management and investing over £200 million a year, Octopus Ventures is one of the largest and most active venture investors in Europe. We tend to invest from £1 million for Seed to £10 million for Series B and we can continue to fund the companies we back right through to IPO. We are based in London and New York with a network that spans from San Francisco to China. The companies we back become a part of this network, with access to a formidable resource of experience and expertise.
About the Role
The opportunity to join Octopus Ventures in London as an Operations Associate is now available. This offers a challenging and exciting opportunity as Octopus Ventures looks to scale its business.
An excellent, collegiate, and effective operations team is crucial to enabling Octopus Ventures to meet its objectives in the European and global VC community as one team. The successful candidate will join our existing operations team to help ensure the seamless operation of daily processes, governance, systems, and MI obligations as we continue to grow our business.
The role’s primary focus is to provide a broad range of business operations expertise across a variety of activities. Key responsibilities include:
- Working with colleagues to support the delivery of projects crucial to our future success, whether that’s introducing new FCA regulation, retail fundraising offer launches or institutional fund closes.
- Working collaboratively with the wider team to understand requirements of and execute implementation of regular system improvements, whether that’s new developments, fixes or replacement solutions.
- Providing support for and contributing to the production of regular MI reports required by our various customers, internal and external.
- Undertaking and overseeing the recording of our investments or divestments in our various systems (including in accordance with relevant FCA regulation), such as investment, asset & valuation data and investor information. Liaising with others in Octopus to ensure complete and effective data is available to the right people.
- Providing support for our investment and divestment processes with our existing operations team as we look to invest into pioneering UK and European companies, while ensuring compliance with our risk thresholds and controls to safeguard client money and assets in line with FCA regulation.
- Supporting and overseeing the necessary anti-money laundering and ‘know-your-customer checks needed on our customers (whether investors or investee companies), both during onboarding and as part of ongoing monitoring
- Liaising with teams across Octopus and suppliers externally to keep things running smoothly and information flowing between us seamlessly all the time.
What you’ll need to be successful:
- An understanding of equity investments generally, although you don’t need to have worked exactly in our part of the industry before - we welcome transferable skill sets and recognise that diverse working backgrounds make us stronger overall.
- Minimum of 4 years’ financial services operations/admin experience
- An excellent sense of how to prioritise and manage your own workload.
- Superb administration skills, good knowledge of the usual Microsoft Office tools, and a comfort working with databases and numbers
- The ability to get your head around complex processes and stick to them
- Proactivity. Being able to spot issues before they happen or volunteering to solve them when they do is vital.
- Great attention to detail, and an ability to keep this up whether it’s the first or twentieth time you’re doing something.
- A passion for putting the customer at the heart of what you do, whether that customer is internal or external.
- A desire to be part of a tight and ambitious team with shared values, where you will both work with others of all seniorities and be expected to own delivery of your own workload.
- The courage to challenge the status quo.
And to really stand out from crowd:
- Experience of venture capital/private equity funds and/or transactions specifically
- Experience of eFront or equivalent bookkeeping systems for venture capital/private equity transactions.
- Be freethinking and proactive in suggesting changes to ensure processes remain efficient, scalable and have minimal time wastage.
- Be comfortable in working in a fast-paced, flexible, dynamic and entrepreneurial environment where priorities are regularly changing.
- Have an interest in learning more about the companies we invest in, the industry and applying this knowledge to the role as you learn more.
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
- We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.