Established in 2000, Octopus is a group of businesses investing in people, ideas and industries that change the world. You can learn more about us at octopusgroup.com.
At Octopus Investments, we're experts in financial services and we’re also a certified B Corp, meaning we care as much about the impact of our investments as the returns they generate. Today we manage more than £12.4* billion on behalf of retail and institutional investors.
*Funds Under Management data includes undrawn commitments, funds under advisory mandates, funds monitored and the Octopus Cash service as of 31st December 2021
Octopus Real Estate:
Octopus Real Estate, part of Octopus Group, is a leading specialist real estate investor, with over £3.5 billion in real estate assets and secured lending, and a highly experienced team of over 90 professionals.
The property lending team provides bespoke, customer focused financing solutions across the UK residential, commercial and development sectors. The team has lent more than £5.7 billion across over 4,100 loans, providing competitively priced financing throughout the UK and spanning the property investment lifecycle, with loans typically ranging from £100,000 to £100 million.
About the Role
About the role:
The development book currently comprises c. £500m of development assets, including residential, PBSA and care homes across c. 85 loans. The book has been structured off stretched senior debt lending (up to 85% LTC) and we are looking for a dynamic and experienced individual to manage and monitor existing loans and build lasting relationships with our customers to facilitate follow-on loans.
The successful candidate will have an understanding of development finance, from a credit risk and /or portfolio management background.
The candidate will receive excellent support from senior management, as well as the wider team.
Job Specific Tasks
- Monitor and manage a number of loans within the development portfolio accurately and diligently by applying specialist knowledge of facility status, construction processes, legal requirements and risk
- Contribute to the structuring, underwriting and executing of new development facilities and driving repeat business
- Manage the relationship with all key stakeholders to ensure a smooth transaction process, timely drawdowns and efficient problem solving
- Manage and analyse all the diligence streams for a transaction, including valuation reports, QS reports, legal documents and market environment
- Contribute to the growth of the Residential Development Team, through increasing the size of the loan book, designing and implementing new loan products and internal processes.
Job Specific Experience/Technical Skills/Abilities
- Experience of executing development loans
- Experience of handling and managing non-performing development sites
- Ability to work autonomously, under pressure and on several priorities at once within tight deadlines
- Highly numerate with a good understanding of development cash flows, construction processes and methods of construction
- Strong credit and risk analysis, with the ability to identify and mitigate an early warning signals
- Due Diligence management and analysis (Legal, Valuation and QS reports)
- Confidence and the ability to manage stakeholders, borrowers, brokers and diligence providers
- Excellent report writing and general communication skills
- Ambitious and motivated
- Possess a good understanding of the UK development market
What we offer
💰 A competitive salary, bonus, pension and share incentive plan
✈️ Take what you need holiday
🏡 Flexible working
⚓ Anchor (our wellness hub) which includes Headspace, one to one coaching through Sanctus, Parent Cloud, Digital GP, Shout & more
👪 Enhanced family leave policies
❤️ Life insurance, critical illness cover and income protection
🏥 Private medical insurance for you and your family
🚗 Electric vehicle leasing
🌍 The option to work overseas up to a month per year
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold.
We’re committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee experience for all. We promote equal opportunities for growth and development regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or socio-economic background. We believe strongly that teams are at their best when every member of the team feels safe to bring their whole self to work.