About Octopus Ventures
With £1.3 billion under management and investing over £100m a year, Octopus Ventures (OV) is one of the largest and most active venture investors in Europe. Our typical investment is from £1 million for Seed to £10 million for Series B and we can continue to fund the companies we back right through to IPO.
Our investment team is built to specialise in the four areas we believe will change the world for the better: health, money, deep tech and consumer. We back ‘pioneers’ and we use the term very deliberately to carve out that subset of entrepreneurs who are truly breaking new ground. Since 2008 we have backed nearly 120 teams, including Zoopla, Swiftkey, WaveOptics, Elvie, Bought by Many, Tails.com, Secret Escapes, graze.com and Cazoo.
We are based in London and New York with a network that spans from San Francisco to China. The companies we back become a part of this network, with access to a formidable resource of experience and expertise.
About the Role
We are looking for an outstanding individual who will work with high growth startups, helping to accelerate their growth through focusing on their people and talent operations. This role has two core functions: 1) guiding companies that are expanding their businesses and teams from Europe to the US, and 2) working with our Health Tech Portfolio to help them recruit and retain talent:
1. Health Tech Talent Partner - at OV, we have five investment pods one of which is focused on Health Tech investments. This team backs companies across the health tech spectrum ranging across companies like Elvie (consumer products) and Ori BioTech (Cell Gene Therapy Development). You will work in partnership with the investment team to address the biggest talent challenges these companies face.
2. US Portfolio Talent Lead - you will be the go-to expert for US expansion. We will help you get up to speed on this one, and within 6 months you will be our on the ground lead, guiding ambitious entrepreneurs through their transatlantic journeys.
What you work on will vary from day to day. You can expect to be spending your time with portfolio companies, building resources for a broader group of businesses, and working with the OV Talent Team on initiatives that will continue to establish OV Talent as a thought leader and expert in the US market and beyond.
What you will deliver:
- Complete at least 5 high impact projects with portfolio companies in your first year
- Establish yourself as the go-to Talent Partner for the Health Tech investment team, and companies with a presence in the US
- Build a network within the Health Tech community of recruitment partners, L+D partners, and advisors who could support the portfolio
- Identify and seize on opportunities across the Health Tech portfolio and community for connection, shared learning, and collaboration
- Support and advise European companies expanding to the US, including leading our community of European Founders in the USA
- Work with the Portfolio Talent Team to develop materials, products, and initiatives that will support recruitment and retention across the portfolio. Support Talent Leaders and CEOs across the portfolio to help them navigate the challenges of scaling a team.
- Respond to any inquiries from OV team or Portfolio company w/in 12 working hours
- US Health Tech Talent Expert – you have general knowledge about the healthcare landscape and how it is evolving, you are familiar with the common roles and organisational structures that evolve in health tech businesses
- Project Management - you can take on a meaty project and execute flawlessly
- Adaptable - you are OK working on different projects, with different people, over different time zones, over the course of a single day. In fact, you prefer this style of working, every day is a little different!
- Community-driven - you like to bring people together and help them learn from one another.
- Detailed - you pay attention to the little things, but you don’t let this hold you back from being productive. It shows in the emails you send and the documents you create.
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
- We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.