About Octopus Ventures
With £1.3 billion under management and investing over £100m a year, Octopus Ventures (OV) is one of the largest and most active venture investors in Europe. Our typical investment is from £1 million for Seed to £10 million for Series B and we can continue to fund the companies we back right through to IPO.
Our investment team is built to specialise in the four areas we believe will change the world for the better: health, money, deep tech and consumer. We back ‘pioneers’ and we use the term very deliberately to carve out that subset of entrepreneurs who are truly breaking new ground. Since 2008 we have backed nearly 120 teams, including Zoopla, Swiftkey, WaveOptics, Elvie, Bought by Many, Tails.com, Secret Escapes, graze.com and Cazoo.
We are based in London and New York with a network that spans from San Francisco to China. The companies we back become a part of this network, with access to a formidable resource of experience and expertise.
About the Role
About the role
Octopus Ventures is one of the most seasoned as well as one of the most active Series A investors in Europe. The recent growth of the UK/European Venture market has created an unmet demand for liquidity, and the opportunity to raise and deploy a fund dedicated to making secondary investments.
We are looking for a Principal to join our team and lead on every aspect of this fund from the very beginning: marketing, fundraising, and subsequently deployment; working closely with the existing Octopus Ventures team as well as the Octopus Group wide support functions.
This role will be a senior member of the team within Octopus Ventures.
Essential Job Functions
You will be responsible for the fund from the very beginning: putting together the marketing materials (with the help of Octopus Ventures and Octopus Group marketing and sales teams), fundraising (with the help of the Co-CEO’s and other Partners), and finally, to the deployment of the capital.
The Octopus Ventures team and network will support you in sourcing secondary investments; your role will have primary responsibility over all aspects of the deal process including DD and presentation of internal Investment Committee documents.
We anticipate hiring junior team members to help you, and so a desire to coach/mentor will be needed not to help grow your immediate team, but to support other junior team members across OV also.
We know you have what it takes if you have:
Extensive relevant professional experience; likely but not necessarily including:
- Marketing and fundraising for fund or funds in the Ventures ecosystem;
- Originating, leading and executing venture stage investments - primary capital and/or secondary investments;
- Being a key contributor in making and executing on investment recommendations;
- Having acquired a strong analytics and strategy tool kit in strategy consulting, investment banking or a commercial role in tech.
· Demonstrable experience leading and coaching less experienced team members; and a strong passion for tech investing and knowledge of the VC ecosystem.
You’ll be a great fit for the team, if you are
- A team player who wants to be part of a tight and ambitious team with shared values: be bold, be straightforward and be helpful;
- Naturally curious and passionate about the companies we invest in and the ecosystem they operate in;
- Somebody who enjoys liaising with different kinds of people, representing Octopus internally and externally;
- Result orientated and hands-on;
- Prepared to get involved in every aspect of fund management;
- Ambitious and take pride in your work; and
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and are always learning, adapting and improving.
- We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.