Octopus is a group of companies which invests in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world.
We believe that the companies serving two of our most important needs – our financial wellbeing and our planet’s future – are failing. And we want that to change. We want everything we do, whether that’s in financial services or energy supply, to have a positive impact on the people it touches.
In our financial services business, we care as much about the impact our investments have, as we do about the returns that we generate for our investors. We manage more than £9.1 billion* on behalf of retail and institutional investors, specialising in renewable energy, real estate, smaller company and venture capital investing.
Our energy supply business - Octopus Energy, is one of the fastest growing companies in the UK. It has grown from start-up to more than 1.7 million customers over the last four years and is now the #1 rated UK energy supply business, and the only one to be recommended by Which? three years in a row.
Octopus Energy, Octopus Giving, Octopus Investments, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Ventures, Seccl Technology and Octopus Wealth are all part of Octopus Group. Visit octopusgroup.com.
About the Role
The Business Development Manager will join the Quoted Distribution Team, which sits in the Strategic Partnerships Team within Octopus Investments. The Quoted Distribution Team work closely with the Quoted Smaller Companies team and are responsible for the growth and development of the Octopus UCITs Funds.
You, as a Business Development Manager, will report into the Head of Quoted Distribution and will be responsible for raising assets into the FP Octopus UK Multi Cap Income Fund (IA UK Equity Income Sector) and the FP Octopus UK Micro Cap Growth Fund (IA UK Smaller Companies) – and new fund launches made by the team. You will generate sales from new and existing clients through direct sales activity. The predominant focus of the outreach strategy will be on the UK wholesale market (Wealth Managers, Discretionary Fund Managers, Independent Financial Advisers, Family Offices and Multi-Managers).
You will work alongside the Head of Quoted Distribution and another Business Development Manager. You will be the lead on new accounts that you generate, and some existing accounts, but you will be required to work alongside colleagues (within and outside the Quoted Distribution Team) on some of the larger and more complex relationships.
Essential Job Functions
- Make an active contribution to achieve the team fundraising target for the Quoted Distribution Team
- Talk confidently about Octopus solutions and their role in the wider market.
- Live our corporate values: be helpful, be straightforward, be bold.
- Leverage your existing network of contacts to create business development opportunities
- Utilise the in-house resources of the team and wider Octopus Investments group to create business development opportunities.
- Arrange and host face-to-face / Zoom meetings with a wide range of potential investors
- Host webinars and events with Fund Managers to promote the Octopus funds
- Regular presentations to prospective and existing investors and distributors.
- General account management of existing investors and prospects worked on by the team to generate further inflows
- Interpret Management Information (MI) from various sources to recommend appropriate actions and generate opportunities
- Suggest new strategic initiatives and use own experience to improve the distribution process – maximising the team’s resources and capabilities
- Support marketing professionals and liaise with Fund Management team to improve communications
- Support new fund launches and promote the team internally on an on-going basis
- Liaise with the fund ACD where relevant to ensure commercial opportunities around potential fund allocations run smoothly.
- Keep up to date with wider industry developments especially those that will have an impact on distributors, potential investors and Octopus.
- Where opportunities arise, identify leads for other teams and businesses (e.g. the Institutional Sales Team or Tax BDM team).
- Experience in Fund Distribution, with responsibility for raising assets. Experience selling long-only equity funds would be advantage.
- An existing network within the UK Wholesale Market (Wealth Managers, Discretionary Fund Managers, Family Offices, Independent Financial Advisers, Multi-Managers) – an awareness of the UK Institutional Market (Investment Consultants, Pension Funds, Sovereign Wealth Funds etc.) would be an advantage.
- An up-to-date knowledge of the Asset Management industry where it relates to the distribution of funds, including a strong knowledge of the UK Wholesale Market.
- A good understanding of how investment management works, with a strong grasp of the detail to enable you to effectively sell funds to industry experts. However, will also have the judgement to know when to ask for support from fund managers and distribution colleagues in the sales process.
- A self-starter, with a flexible work ethic and the ability to work effectively in an office, home and travel environment.
- A collaborative team-player, who is comfortable operating in a small team within a larger organisation, with ambitious growth targets.
- A ‘big picture thinker’ who strives to achieve goals beyond those set.
- A confident and passionate salesperson who commands conversations over the telephone and able to book in meetings for him/herself and the wider team.
- Proven results regarding the creation of new relationships and growth of existing relationships, with a track record of meeting asset growth targets.
- Excellent attention to detail, pride taken in delivering timely follow-up.
- Skilled in time management, prioritising calls and booking meetings effectively.
- The ability to use relationship-based sales to deliver longer term sales results.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Confident and credible presentation skills - be prepared to come up with content and deliver presentations to small and large groups.
- Good interpersonal skills, acting with honesty and integrity always.
- An appetite for continuous personal and professional development, broadening qualifications and learning where appropriate.
- Must be comfortable in using technology and leveraging digital applications and media platforms
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strength:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company’s vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for. We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold. We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we’re always learning, adapting and improving We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.