Octopus is a group of businesses investing in the people, ideas and industries that will help change the world. Founded in 2000, we’re now one of the UK’s fastest-growing companies, operating in two sectors – financial services and energy supply. In our financial services business, we’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist investment sectors, including smaller companies, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ more than 750 people and manage more than £10 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 retail and institutional investors. At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people.
We’re a group of entrepreneurially-minded businesses, each built on the belief that people and the planet deserve better. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Wealth, Octopus Giving and Seccl.
Life at Octopus is never dull. We’re an ambitious, people-first business that wants to make the world a better place. Because of this, we value energy, curiosity, resilience, and integrity. We’re different from most other companies you may have worked for. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About the Role
The marketing function at Octopus is a “COE” (“Centre of expertise”). This means that all the brand, marketing and comms activity across our financial services businesses and parent company ultimately sits in one team, and reports to a single Marketing Director. This role is in the Marketing Centre of Expertise, working across all Octopus businesses apart from Octopus Energy, Octopus Moneycoach, Octopus Wealth and Seccl by Octopus.
About the role
We’re looking for a Senior Digital Marketing Manager to work within the Marketing COE, reporting to our Head of UX and Digital Marketing. You’ll love this role if you’re a goals-oriented person who is just as motivated by improving the Customer Experience as delivering value to the business.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Lead and develop a team of two Digital Marketing Execs, creating a high performing and enjoyable place to work.
- Help to recruit and retain a world-class, diverse and inclusive team.
- Be the digital marketing and analytics ambassador.
- Be curious, innovate and future-proof our approach to digital marketing, tools and channels.
- Lead on the SEO strategy (including the search hierarchy across businesses) and implementation to meet business KPIs. Manage the relationship with our SEO agency partner.
- Developing and maintaining the social presence of the Octopus companies. Create and implement the social media strategy to meet business KPIs and safeguard the Octopus brand.
Digital channels and customer experience
- Work with the business and technical teams to set and deliver the website development roadmap (prioritise features, implement and measure the impact) to achieve business goals.
- Maintain and enhance the Octopus websites and other digital touchpoints (social media, paid social, search) working closely with the relevant business owners and marketing teams
- Lead on the creation and implementation of digital experiences for multi-channel campaigns across different Octopus businesses as part of cross-department working groups delivering against business KPIs
- Own and manage paid media channels (search, social, display, partnerships, email) including third party relationships and suppliers to meet business and campaign KPIs.
- Taking personal responsibility for the quality of the web and digital experiences for Octopus.
Data and analysis
- Implement and maintain tracking solutions (Google suite – should we move to GA4?, Hotjar, Segment, Amplitude, etc.) and report performance against key KPIs to optimise marketing initiatives and sales outcomes (cost-per-conversion, funnel performance, cost-per-lead, ROI and audience segmentation)
- Own and drive the optimisation strategy (including the various testing plans) to improve customer experience and conversion rates. Working with the wider marketing team to drive a test & learn focussed mindset, embracing the potential for learning from failure, and educate wider team on key learnings.
- Working with an established martech and analytics stack, including campaign, content management tools and CRMs
- CDP (Customer Data Platforms) experience
- Experience of designing multi-channel strategies that are optimised meet marketing objectives (especially website, SEO, and social)
- Experience of planning and delivering successful multi-channel campaigns, from concept to execution, involving large matrix teams
- Strong problem-solving skills, able to identify critical issues, opportunities, evaluate options and provide clear recommendations for solutions
- Strong analytical skills with a consultative approach. Capability to transform data into actionable insights
- Ability and experience communicating to a wide range of stakeholders across functions and organisational levels
- Meticulous organisation and planning
- Project/campaign management and delivery
- Motivated by finding new ways of doing things
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills, demonstrating examples of where and how you have gotten buy in to your ideas with challenging stakeholders
- Enthusiastic about growing and developing themselves and the team
- Flexibility, open to challenges, curveballs, and other opportunities
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strength:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company’s vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for. We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold. We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we’re always learning, adapting and improving We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee experience for all. We are committed to promoting equal opportunities for growth and development regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or socio-economic background.
We believe strongly that teams are at their best wherever member of the team feels safe to bring their whole self to work.