At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 800 people and manage more than £8.3 billion on behalf of over 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Wealth and Octopus Renewables. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions
About the Role
Octopus Group is the masterbrand that sits across all the Octopus businesses, used for hiring, reinforcement, amplifying the company founders, integrating all our businesses, and bringing a broader story and sense of purpose to all our individual businesses. As we achieve two prestigious external certifications, we're looking for a Senior Marketing Manager to build on the existing Octopus Group Marketing programme and bring the personality, values, impact and purpose of our business to life internally and externally.
This is a really unique marketing role, because there's no tangible product to sell - instead it is selling a feeling, a set of values and beliefs, a story and an ambition. The role reports into the Marketing Director at Octopus, and will work closely with Simon Rogerson (CEO and co-founder).
The role will be responsible for:
- The Octopus Group website (octopusgroup.com) and social media programmes
- Octopus Group events and experiences (including Investor Relations)
- Improving the use of the Octopus Group brand in recruitment and the candidate onboarding journey
- The Octopus Group marketing plan, working closely with the corporate comms and PR team
- Personal brand building for Simon Rogerson
- How we present the relationship between Octopus Group and the financial services businesses in the group (e.g Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures etc), and how we use this for competitive advantage
- How we use the Octopus Group brand to attract and retain really talented people
- Internal expressions of the Octopus Group brand
Genuine belief in Octopus, our vision, our purpose and ambition
- Imagination, empathy, optimism and curiosity
- Big and brave ideas, confidence and humility
- Experience using a number of on and offline marketing disciplines
- Experience running content marketing programmes
- Experience achieving tangible business results through end to end campaign activity
- Good project management and co-ordination skills
- The confidence to operate and influence at senior level
- The ability to work autonomously and use initiative
- The energy to quickly build your network amongst the marketing teams in all the Octopus businesses
And to really stand out from the crowd:
- Care about moving capital into sectors that can drive really positive change for people and the planet
- Have a passion for creating an emotional connection with people, far greater than any individual product or transaction - and a view that even in B2B, you're still talking to people - just people at work!
- Be a born storyteller
- Have experience building personal brands to support corporate branding efforts
- Be comfortable working in a matrix structure
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strength:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company’s vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for. We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold. We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we’re always learning, adapting and improving We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.