Established in 2000, Octopus is a group of businesses investing in people, ideas and industries that change the world. You can learn more about us at octopusgroup.com.
At Octopus Investments, we're experts in financial services and we’re also a certified B Corp, meaning we care as much about the impact of our investments as the returns they generate. Today we manage more than £12.4* billion on behalf of retail and institutional investors.
*Funds Under Management data includes undrawn commitments, funds under advisory mandates, funds monitored and the Octopus Cash service as of 31st December 2021
About the Role
Labs use the latest technology to build state-of-the-art systems to support our business processes. Our team are constantly looking for new technologies, and people at all levels of the function are encouraged and expected to contribute with ideas on how we can improve our products. We embrace diversity and have people from a wide range of backgrounds working both in the UK and from countries around the world.
Initially the role will focus on delivering a strategic project to upgrade Octopus’ core investment management systems. The project is being delivered in phases. Phase 1 focuses on the selection and implementation of a new order management system (OMS). Phase 2 will focus on upgrading the Investment Book or Records (IBOR) and related back office systems and processes. Phase 1 is in flight and expecting to deliver in the first half of 2023. Initiation of Phase 2 will kick off in parallel with implementation of Phase 1 and is expected to run for 18-24 months.
Beyond the delivery of this project there will be numerous exciting opportunities to get involved in a wide range of operating model and process improvement initiatives.
At Octopus we value ideas and creative thinking and are seeking a bright mind with a drive to see their ideas bought to life and delivering real world results.
What you’ll do
- Project manage complex operating model and core platform systems changes with multiple workstreams and numerous internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead project discovery workshops and produce key project artefacts to define project and workstream scope, objectives and benefits.
- Produce and maintain detailed and summary-level project plans and Gantt charts tracking timelines and milestones ensuring alignment with external vendor and consulting partner plans and deliverables.
- Plan and facilitate project working groups and steering committee meetings ensuring regular cadence and transparent and timely reporting of project status against time, cost and quality criteria.
- Ensure project Risks, Issues, Assumptions & Dependencies (RACI) logs are maintained and escalations are managed pragmatically.
- Produce and maintain resource plans including forecasts and tracking actuals at individual, workstream, project and team levels.
- Manage the project budget forecast and actuals.
- Coordinate vendor engagement and procurement processes in partnership with Octopus’ procurement and finance teams.
- Conduct research into wealth and asset management vendor products and market best practices.
- Define vendor assessment criteria and lead request for information (RFI) and request for proposal (RFP) processes
- Facilitate solution design workshops working closely with vendor resources and internal SMEs
- Contribute to as-is and target operating model (TOM) design
- Present proposals and solutions in appropriate formats and forums to all stakeholders including C suite
- Analyse and present the pros and cons of alternative solutions
- Provide industry subject matter expertise
What you’ll need
- Significant project management experience in the funds and/or wealth management industry
- Previous operating model reengineering and systems implementation project management experience
- Good understanding of typical wealth/asset management operating models and the core functions of Front, Middle and Back office teams and systems.
- Good understanding of the end to end investment lifecycle for listed(quoted) and unlisted(unquoted/private) equities including back office accounting and custody
- Extensive experience working with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Sound understanding and demonstrable experience of both waterfall and agile project management methodologies and applying these in a hybrid environment
- Previous experience performing SWOT/Cost Benefit/ Pros Cons analysis of systems and solutions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong initiative, ability to work unsupervised and conduct independent research to find solutions to complex problems
- Ability to manage competing priorities
- Ability to mediate and resolve conflicts
Beneficial to have
- Professional project management qualifications. E.g. Prince II, Agile.
- Experience using Microsoft project and collaborations tools for project management
- An understanding of wealth management tax products. Business Property Relief qualifying (BPR) Venture Capital Trusts (VCT), Enterprise Investment Schemes(EIS).
- Knowledge of the Alternative Investments Market (AIM)
- A background in both retail and institutional asset management
What we offer
💰 A competitive salary, bonus, pension and share incentive plan
✈️ Take what you need holiday
🏡 Flexible working
⚓ Anchor (our wellness hub) which includes Headspace, one to one coaching through Sanctus, Parent Cloud, Digital GP, Shout & more
👪 Enhanced family leave policies
❤️ Life insurance, critical illness cover and income protection
🏥 Private medical insurance for you and your family
🚗 Electric vehicle leasing
🌍 The option to work overseas up to a month per year
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold.
We’re committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee experience for all. We promote equal opportunities for growth and development regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or socio-economic background. We believe strongly that teams are at their best when every member of the team feels safe to bring their whole self to work.