Octopus is a group of companies which invests in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world.
We believe that the companies serving two of our most important needs – our financial wellbeing and our planet’s future – are failing. And we want that to change. We want everything we do, whether that’s in financial services or energy supply, to have a positive impact on the people it touches.
In our financial services business, we care as much about the impact our investments have, as we do about the returns that we generate for our investors. We manage more than £9.1 billion* on behalf of retail and institutional investors, specialising in renewable energy, real estate, smaller company and venture capital investing.
Our energy supply business - Octopus Energy, is one of the fastest growing companies in the UK. It has grown from start-up to more than 1.7 million customers over the last four years and is now the #1 rated UK energy supply business, and the only one to be recommended by Which? three years in a row.
Octopus Energy, Octopus Giving, Octopus Investments, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Ventures, Seccl Technology and Octopus Wealth are all part of Octopus Group. Visit octopusgroup.com.
About the Role
The mission of the IT team is to provide innovative and reliable technology solutions to help the business and their clients work smarter and more efficiently.
- Daily maintenance and support of production infrastructure and solutions
- Constant evaluation of production infrastructure and solutions to ensure ‘fit for purpose’
- Managing multiple tasks simultaneously while adapting to agile business requirements
- Collaborating with relevant IT service owners to improve support, delivery & communications
- Acting as an escalation point for various stakeholders across the business
- Providing ad-hoc specialist support for small projects/access/information requests
- Previous on-premises and cloud Infrastructure Support experience in an Enterprise environment
- Strong knowledge of virtualization in VMWare and associated technologies
- Strong knowledge of AWS and Azure
- Strong Windows Server skills (Windows Server 2012 through to 2019)
- Experience of Microsoft Technology stack including but not limited to SQL, M365
- Strong understanding of Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, Group Policy
- Understanding of scripting languages
- Linux skills (Ubuntu/CentOS)
- Backup technologies
- Strong understanding of LAN/WAN network protocols, tcp/udp ports
- Understanding of vulnerability mitigation and remediation
- Use of a ticketing system
- Ability to prioritise workload accordingly
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent technical documentation creation skills
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as individually.
- Octopus Labs is driving innovation and technical change throughout the Octopus Group
- We're one of the largest VCs in Europe
- We love entrepreneurs
- We're happy for you to keep working on your side-projects.
- Started in a bedroom 20 years ago and still run by the same founders we have a strong entrepreneurial flair and a culture of always asking questions
- Flexible working hours
- Exceptionally diverse/multinational team
- Salary (tell us what you are worth) + benefits
We'll love you if:
- You enjoy supporting and implementing new solutions
- You create documentation because you enjoy it!
- You were the kind of kid who took things apart just to put them back together (correctly)
- You relish the opportunity to implement improvements
- You are passionate about technology delivery
- You have a strong background in infrastructure support
- HOW is just as important as WHAT you do
- You are a confident communicator, enjoy working in a friendly, collaborative, fast-paced team and are comfortable talking to people at all levels of the business
You'll love us if you enjoy:
- Solving problems - things happen and you're there to fix them
- Providing a ‘new technology lifecycle’ support experience
- Being one of the go-to people for specialist technical knowledge
- Passion for infrastructure
- Imparting knowledge to the team
- Working in a collaborative environment, as part of a growing team
- Having passion about customer experience and a commitment to exceeding expectations
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.