Established in 2000, Octopus is a group of businesses investing in people, ideas and industries that change the world. You can learn more about us at octopusgroup.com.
At Octopus Investments, we're experts in financial services and we’re also a certified B Corp, meaning we care as much about the impact of our investments as the returns they generate. Today we manage more than £12.4* billion on behalf of retail and institutional investors.
*Funds Under Management data includes undrawn commitments, funds under advisory mandates, funds monitored and the Octopus Cash service as of 31st December 2021
About the Role
Octopus Ventures is one of the most active early-stage investors in the UK. With more than £1bn in AUM and significant capital to deploy into new and follow-on investments. Today we have a portfolio of over 100 companies, and have ambitions to grow this number considerably in the coming years.
Understanding, monitoring and reporting on the performance of our portfolio companies post-investment is an important function of our business. The valuations team is an independent function within Octopus Ventures, and is responsible for valuing all the portfolio companies we are invested in and reporting on the performance of the Ventures’ funds.
We work closely with the investment managers to understand valuation drivers within our portfolio companies, the investment thesis, and company performance. We also work hand-in-hand with finance and operations teams to produce internal and LP reporting, Annual Reports, and other material key for Ventures’ stakeholder management. In addition, we also prepare fund performance analysis to help inform portfolio management decisions.
In this newly-created team, you'll play a key part in shaping the valuation process, reporting and analysis. Reporting into the Ventures’ Valuations Lead you'll help with the preparation of portfolio valuations, engage in the collection and analysis of portfolio company data, and be a key contributor to investment track record analysis.
The ability to engage well with various stakeholders and core colleagues will be important from the outset. You'll often work with some of the Octopus Group Centres of Expertise (in particular Funds Finance, Institutional Funds and Marketing), and need to able to build strong working relationships with them. You'll ideally have experience in and passion for valuing private companies, be highly proficient with Excel, have strong attention to detail and enjoy working with data.
You’ll divide your time roughly working on:
- Preparation of individual portfolio company valuations, typically on a bi-annual or quarterly basis:
- This will include the collation of portfolio data, the gathering of relevant market comparables, valuation model building (including waterfall modelling).
- Preparation of valuation papers, including commentary on trading performance, justification for selected valuation methodology and selected input, additional commentary on triangulation.
- Preparation of materials required to support the valuation sign-off process for the Valuation Committee, the Fund Board and the auditors.
- Preparation of regular analysis on fund performance and underlying drivers of this. This will include benchmarking against relevant peers.
Investor & Board Relations
- Supporting on the preparation of investor reports, primarily providing context on portfolio and drivers of fund performance;
- Supporting the Investment Partners on preparation of presentations (alongside Marketing) to be used for fundraising, Annual General Meetings and Board meetings.
We know you have what it takes, if you have:
- Valuation experience, some of which will have been spent working on portfolio valuations within private equity, venture capital or alternative investment space, either internally or as an external consultant.
- Experience in financial reporting, financial planning and analysis, accounting, or audit.
- Superior Excel skills.
You’ll be a great fit for the team, if you are:
- A team player who wants to be part of a tight and ambitious team with shared values: – one team, be bold, be straightforward and be helpful.
- Naturally curious and passionate about the companies we invest in and the ecosystem they operate in.
- Somebody who enjoys liaising with different kinds of people, representing Ventures internally and externally.
- Result orientated and hands-on.
- Prepared to get involved in every aspect of fund management.
- Ambitious and take pride in your work.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
What we offer
💰 A competitive salary, bonus, pension and share incentive plan
✈️ Take what you need holiday
🏡 Flexible working
⚓ Anchor (our wellness hub) which includes Headspace, one to one coaching through Sanctus, Parent Cloud, Digital GP, Shout & more
👪 Enhanced family leave policies
❤️ Life insurance, critical illness cover and income protection
🏥 Private medical insurance for you and your family
🚗 Electric vehicle leasing
🌍 The option to work overseas up to a month per year
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold.
We’re committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee experience for all. We promote equal opportunities for growth and development regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or socio-economic background. We believe strongly that teams are at their best when every member of the team feels safe to bring their whole self to work.