Privacy Notice for job applicants
Octopus Investments Ltd (including other Octopus companies, our users, suppliers or licensors) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
When you apply for a job with us, you provide us with certain personal information which we are committed to keeping safe. This policy will explain when and how we collect data and how we use any information we have.
This notification sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
Octopus Investments Ltd is the data controller, in line with data protection legislation including the UK Data Protection Act 2018, the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the UK Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003 (PECR), and other applicable legislation. Our contact details are:
Octopus Investments Ltd
What information do we collect?
When you apply for a job with Octopus, we may collect and process the following data about you:
- Contact details
- Employment history
- Social media profiles
Where do we get this information from?
We may receive your personal information from:
- yourself (this is data you provide us with)
- employment agencies
- job search websites
- Smart Profile
Why do we need to collect this information?
Our legal basis for processing this data is the negotiation of a possible contract of employment with you.
We need these personal details from you so we can consider you for employment. If we can’t obtain this information, we wouldn’t be able to consider your job application.
How long do we keep your information for?
Your details may be kept for up to one year, unless you ask for it to be erased beforehand. We keep hold of your information in case you would like to re-apply for another role.
If your application is successful, your data will be retained as an employee. In this case, you’ll be given a new information notice relating to employee data.
Who else has access to your data?
We might need to share your data with external parties as part of the application process. These parties would be:
- our software and IT service providers
- your nominated referees
- Smart Recruiter as a joint controller of your data. You can find their privacy notice here
Occasionally, we may need to disclose certain parts of your information to additional third parties. We would only do so if we had a legal obligation to. In these cases, your data could be shared with:
- law enforcement (by warrant or subpoena)
- courts, tribunals or other judicial bodies
How do we use your information?
We use your data to:
- communicate with you
- assess your suitability for the job role(s)
- contact your nominated referees
- manage the application and interview process
You have several rights when it comes to the data we hold. You have the right of –
- Access – you may request we provide you with the data we hold
- Rectification – you may request we correct any inaccurate data
- Erasure – you may request we erase your data
- Restriction – you may request we stop processing your data but retain it
- Objection – you may object to us processing your data for direct marketing purposes
- Portability – you may request we provide you or a nominated party with your data in a commonly used, structured and machine-readable format
You can exercise your rights at any time by contacting us at email@example.com
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office or any other European Supervisory Authority.
Changes to this policy
Any changes made to this policy will be posted on this page.
Please email us with any questions, comments or requests relating to this policy. You can reach us on firstname.lastname@example.org