At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 750 people and manage more than £8 billion on behalf of over 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Wealth and Octopus Renewables. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About the Role
The technical team are core members of the Octopus Renewables (OR) Asset Management (ORAM) team. This team manages over 250 energy generating companies, currently valued in excess of £2Bn and delivering revenue in excess of £230m pa. The operational activities include solar power parks, wind farms and gas fired peaking plant generators (also called Reserve Power, RP). The companies are owned by investors in Octopus managed funds or companies and do not have any direct employees. The operational activities of the companies are outsourced and overseen by ORAM.
We are looking for an experienced Electrical Technical Asset Manager to work within the Asset management function, with a focus on closing out technical and associated H&S issues. The successful candidate will advise and be accountable for the closeout of technical and H&S issues within the solar portfolio. The role will require some travel to sites within the UK and Europe.
The role represents an excellent opportunity for an individual to join a highly motivated, supportive and collaborative team. The role offers a training and development opportunities, including both in-house specialist sessions and external training. The exact training requirements will be designed around her/his needs and development goals.
Outline of responsibilities
- Support Senior managers on electrical and HSE projects/issues/initiatives across the OR solar portfolio
- Work closely supporting the H&S director in investigating and closing out of HSE KPI’s
- Advise and update the Commercial Asset Managers on the closeout of technical issues
- Investigate root cause failures and work with outsourced partners to resolve
- Read, critique and summarise all reports from operational subcontractors such as EPC contractors, asset managers and O&M contractors
- Advise on the appropriateness and cost of any works proposed on the sites
- Prepare regular progress and management reports.
- Advise on risk management and mitigation across the portfolio, including preparing decision-making materials for senior management as required
- Support all aspects of complying with grid, planning and other permits
- Define and monitor technical KPIs for external asset managers’ and other contractors’ performance
- Develop concise Scopes of work
- Experienced Electrical Engineer or Operations Manager
- Experience of working within/operating High Voltage networks within Transmission, Distribution or Generation
- Degree and professional qualification in relevant electrical engineering
- HS&E qualified Neebosh / IOSH
- Knowledge of HS&E associated within construction and operations
- Knowledge of wind and/or solar construction and operational phases
- Experience of key technology utilised in solar and preferably worked with a Tier 1 Original Equipment Manufacturer
- Previously managing Engineering, Procurement and Construction Contractors for Renewable Energy projects including the management of Health & Safety for on-going Operations
- Comfortable interpreting engineering drawings, specifications, procedures, permits and tender documents as well as contracts commercials, cash flows, invoicing, cost control and risk analysis and mitigations
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines
- Excellent communicator at all levels, particularly when translating technical information for non-technical teams
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
- We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.