Operations Director (Affordable Housing)
At Octopus, we’re entrepreneurs and we’re investors, on a mission to back the people, ideas and industries that will change the world.
We think working here is great, but we’re understandably biased. Click here to explore Life at Octopus.
About the Role
What’s in it for you?
At Octopus Real Estate, our mission is to provide genuinely affordable homes for people who need them. In 2023, we created the Octopus Affordable Housing Fund, to accelerate the delivery of genuinely affordable quality homes across the UK. We will do this through our for-profit registered provider of social housing, NewArch Homes, which was setup in 2014 and Octopus acquired in 2022. As Operations Director for NewArch Homes, your role will be to manage all operational and strategic aspects of NewArch Homes, including management and monitoring of management partner service agreements and engagement with the Board, the Fund and the Regulator for Social Housing.
This is a role with great potential for growth as we plan to build thousands of affordable homes in the coming years. This is an incredible opportunity for someone who is passionate about building and scaling operations and aspires to become a future COO or CEO.
Join a diverse, dynamic team of over 90 professionals at Octopus Real Estate. Your immediate team includes five experienced individuals, and you will report to the Head of Affordable Housing who is also the Fund Manager for the Octopus Affordable Housing Fund Ltd.
What will you be doing?
- Provide leadership for the efficient and effective operational management of NewArch’s activities to deliver the highest standards of conduct, performance and accountability.
- Provide strategic direction for income, service and performance management of the New Arch Affordable Housing portfolio. Ensuring we meet our regulatory and legislative requirements, in particular compliance with the Regulator of Social Housing’s regulatory standards including consumer regulation.
- Develop and deliver against NewArch’s corporate plan and four strategic objectives:
- Supporting growth
- Maintaining the quality of our homes
- Ensuring our customers are treated well
- Operating safely, securely and soundly
- Represent the organisation at conferences and events, while being a credible authority when engaging with the Board, the Regulator, and other stakeholders.
- Collaborate effectively with third-party organisations to nurture and expand our strategic partnerships and manage the relationship with the Regulator of Social Housing including through future In Depth Assessments.
- Take operational responsibility for New Arch, our RP, and oversee the performance of our management partners.
- Build a strong working relationship with the Chair and the Board.
- Develop policies, procedures, a business plan, and an operating model that can be scaled to align with the growth projections of NewArch Homes.
Ideally, you’ll have:
✅ Deep knowledge of affordable housing operations and legislation
✅ Experience implementing and enhancing governance frameworks whilst developing policies and procedures for a growing affordable housing portfolio.
✅ Proven commercial awareness with the ability to scrutinise data and processes, making recommendations to enhance housing services and returns.
✅ Experience working with senior management, presenting board reports and providing thought leadership.
✅ Professional qualifications (or a willingness to undertake professional qualifications) satisfying the requirements of the Better Social Housing Review
We encourage you to apply even if you don’t tick every box. What’s the worst that can happen?
This role will evolve as we grow and develop. So, if you are looking for a challenge in a fast paced and dynamic business, we can deliver on that.
What we offer
💰 A competitive salary, bonus, pension and share incentive plan
✈️ Untracked holiday
🏡 Hybrid working – 3 days a week in the office
⚓ Anchor (our wellness hub) which includes Headspace, one to one coaching through Wellness Cloud, Digital GP, Shout & more
👪 Up to 6 months paid parental leave regardless of gender
❤️ Life insurance, critical illness cover and income protection
🏥 Private medical insurance for you and your family
🚗 Electric vehicle leasing
🌍 The option to work overseas up to a month per year
At our core, we believe that how a company behaves is just as important as what it does. That’s why we chose to become an accredited B Corp (the equivalent of a Fairtrade coffee stamp but for companies) and to change our Articles of Association so that the interests all our stakeholders – employees, customers, communities, environment and shareholders – are considered in every decision we make.
We’re committed to creating a diverse and inclusive employee experience for all. We promote equal opportunities for growth and development regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or socio-economic background. We believe strongly that teams are at their best when every member of the team feels safe to bring their whole self to work.